Unexplained infertility in a doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4kr

Reaction score
I'm debating on whether it's worth a try with a doe that's for sale. This doe is 1yr old, will be 2 this summer, and has had 5 litters....but the breeder has been trying to get her bred since last august....and nothing. She's tired of trying with her and considers her taking up space so wants her moved out. This doe has amazing type, I am in Love with her head and markings, just gorgeous. I'm considering buying her and trying for a litter too but if it doesn't happen then I still think she would be a great show doe.

Wonder why she all of a sudden is infertile? Think she may have a stuck baby that never reabsorbed? Any tips or advice to give for increasing fertility in a doe? I've heard of some kind of herb for does but I can't think of it now.

Thanks!

A show doe is nothing unless it makes a great brood doe. It may win legs ,but what's the use if you can't use her for your program.

If she has a stuck baby you should be able to feel it.

Maybe some breeds are different, but we've tried showing does who already had litters and they just don't judge well. Typically, their stomach and hips spread. Sometimes the hair they pulled doesn't come back looking the same...various reasons that just make them not as competitive anymore. Normally, you show a rabbit while they're young - in their prime -then retire them to be brood does. Bucks, of course, can show longer. I'm kind of curious how they got 5 litters, given her age and how long they've been trying to breed her...the math doesn't sound right to me.

I have a 5 year old buck, He havent had babies since he was young (Jr). And we have been trying every month to get babies from him. I talked to a great friend of mine. And she told me to keep trying. Once a rabbit dont have babies for awhile. You have to get hes sperm going. By keep trying with him until he haves babies.

And I have a doe that I got babies from last spring (so over a year). I been trying for 10 months to get a litter out of her. And I finally got some babies! :)

It can be possible to have that many litters in a year. She would have to have them back to back. Breeding her at 6 weeks to her milk will dry up when they weant the kits at 8 weeks and she gives birth 2 weeks later. Very Very hard on the doe and should not be done

I agree, 5 litters sounds like a LOT considering her age! I'm just saying what the breeder has told me. I just don't know if it's worth trying to get her bred or just pass her up. The type is great so if she would have a litter, I would be very pleased-GC's all throughout her pedigree, she is a Nice rabbit.:-( I'll palpate her before I buy..if we do buy her. She is asking just $20 pet price because of the 'infertility' issue.

Due to that, is she still willing to sell with a pedigree? Some breeders don't. I know I wouldn't, but that's me. Anyway, that's cheap and there is a chance she could breed and provide u a litter but it is VERY slim. If she doesn't then I would strip her of her pedigree and sale her as pet or keep her.

Yes, pedigree is included. You're right, I could always pet out later on I guess. I think she looks a little overweight from the pictures so maybe get her on a diet to a normal weight and then see what happens.

Could also be a health issue, two years is still relatively young but it's not totally unknown to find cancerous changes in the uterus in does spayed at that age. That would certainly have implications for fertility.

Yes health is most important. I hate having a rabbit jump from place to place because I worry of stress but of you really want to risk trying to breed her then it's ur choice. Once o hear a doe is infertile I pass. It's a shame that she wot produce but things like this happen. Maybe her body is telling her and the breeder she's tired of being breed so much in such a little time. I guess it backfired on her. If you do get her, spoil her. I also herd that does can be picky as well and that they also go thru a dry spell during cold months.

Great advice you guys! We'll see, she may just turn out to be our house bun...lol. That's what happened to a BEW ND doe we got from Lone Star Rabbitry, she was one of her top show does but never did have a litter, so we got her and spoiled the girl rotten. lol She was our house bun and the best pet ever. We miss Abby a lot. Anyway, thanks for the advice...

You welcome. We have a house bun as well. We don't just breed. We love our buns. Actually right now all four of our rabbits are inside. I would keep it that way but we plan on adding another and all but one will be relocated outside one day. I'll be a mother hen when that happens. Lol

Just putting my two cents in.
I have a doe that's just turned a year, and I believe just kindled her 7th litter? She's had 2 fostered off (her first, and the one before this one), and one that froze... Leaving her with raising 3 of these litters, and being on the 4th. I see no problem with it, since she's been in flawless condition, and hasn't had to be table or force bred.
In any case, she keeps meaning to leave to go back to the original owner, but transport never works out and I don't like idle does when I only have ~20 holes to work with. -shrug- it's not great in general, but on a case by case basis it can be fine.

Thanks for sharing Megan, I didn't think about a litter fostering to another doe and then being re-bred, that's likely what happened with this girl...which come to think about makes me even more concerned about if she isn't a good mom in the first place. Anyway, I'll be sure to ask these questions before we consider buying.

Well, fostering could be done for a ton of reasons. Bad mom, want more babies, the litter was too small (anything 2 and under is automatically fostered off in my rabbitry), wrong colors for what the cross was meant for... Mostly for me it's the 2 and under rule, or I want to keep working the doe because she didn't throw what I needed.

Don't give up. Hopefully it'll work out!

Latest posts

Back