Unexpected Kits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_TOX

Reaction score
So Im a new rabbit Owner, I just got my first rabbit on the 11th. Two days ago she started nesting, I thought she was a phantom pregnacy. Surely the shelter I work at wouldn't let me adopt a rabbit without letting me know she is pregnant. This morning I welcomed two new Kits (So Far) a little black one and a tiny white one. Im worried that the little white one is ethier a runt or a peanut. Can you help me out? What should I do if she/he is a runt or peanut?? Also how do you tell the sex??

20141217_121839.jpg

20141217_121855.jpg

20141217_121929.jpg

20141217_121942.jpg

Yuki had kits??!! You can't really tell the sex right now. Anyways, we once had a runt in one of our litters(of 4) and it was the only one that survived. Are the babies outside? How old is the mother? They look like they have nice and plump tummies.

Usually peanuts don't survive their first weeks of life and are best to be culled so they don't come as a shock when they die naturally. The little kit doesn't look like a peanut. The only time you can tell the sec is when they're a little older then newborn.The bigger one looks like a blue instead of black or maybe it's the lighting in the picture. I hope all goes well.

Thanks and yes Yuki had kits! I didnt even know she was pregnant when I got her on the 11th from my shelter. I called and they said well, we cant tell if rabbits are pregnant sorry. xC oh wells, there so cute and tiny. Yuki is two years old i believe. Do I have to seperate them when they weaned or is it okay to let mom and kits stay in same cage? Looks like I need a much bigger cage. Im hoping it isnt a peanut that would be sad and I hope they both live, Im not even sure if this is her first litter or not!

Yes you have to seperate them when they are weaned from their mother. After she has weaned them get her fixed so no more accidents happen.

Yeah, I dont want to be a breeder and since she has been with me (six days) she has never been around a male so she must have gotten pregnant before she was even at the shelter (she had been at the shelter since dec 2nd, i got her dec 11.)

Diffently will get them fixed. If I get them fixed will they still need to be seperated? When can they start making babies so I know when to seperate them. If there all girls do I need to seperate then? When can I tell their sexs?

white kit has bulbous head, small ears and a weak rear end. most likely a peanut. Culling ensures it doesn't starve to death.
starvation is in my personal opinion more cruel than quickly culling it. They die regardless.

if your doe has kindled indoors in a contained nest (you can move the entire nest into a box and place it where she had them) MOVE the litter box if necessary. it will help to ensure warmth and safety of surviving kit.

Depending on the rabbits involved they can breed as early as 6.5 weeks of age. MOST do not but there is more than enough anecdotal evidence (ie Kits born) to prove the possibility.

I wouldn't worry about separating them just yet...it'll be awhile. It's important the kits stay warm. If mom pulled hair then make sure the nest is lined with it, and covering them lightly will help. They need to be in a box that's tall enough to keep the kits in but mom can hop in and out. She should nurse them within 24 hours of birth.

So my only worry is that their nest is in her litter, should I move it? If so what should i put in there to make sure there warm and wont die from freezing? Also does anyone else think that the little white one is a peanut? Is there ANY chance of survival for peanuts? He/she is almost the size of his/her sibiling just bit tinier. i made sure mama feed her by putting her on her back and letting the baby feed off of her. making sure she/he gets feed.

I don't think that the little white one looks like a peanut tbh. I'd just let nature take it's course and give the little guy a couple days and see what happens. And can you post a photo of the nest she built? Just give momma and the babies some peace and quiet and see how she does with them. Rabbits don't tend to their kits like a dog would tend to it's puppies. They generally feed their kits twice a day, for a couple of minutes.

I would leave it as is, momma looks like she did the best she could, and if she isn't using her litterbox as a litterbox, than the kits are probably fine. Just check on them tomorrow and see if they got fat, little round tummies, and if so, you know momma is doing her job. :)

Just want to say I hope hope hope they pull through! I was shocked when I read it! You adopted one bunny and got three. I don't know much about kits but I did read that peanuts are a lot smaller than their siblings, very noticeably so, and they seem weak and have little energy by comparison too. but I'd rather leave that up to people who know, I guess I'm just hoping and praying for you that it's going to be a healthy kit. Best of luck and do lots of research! (I'm sure you already are though)

hahaha right, I dont think anyone was a ssuprised as I was. I seriously thought it was a phantom pregnancy! She was nesting but besides that showed no sign of pregnancy bbbuuuttt I am new at this lol. Still not sure if im keeping them or adopting them out. guess it depends on their personality. and if I can lol. Yeah he or she isnt TINY Tiny, Ill post the size difference, but still tiny. She/he (god i need names lol) is actively moving around and stuff and I made sure to see that mama is taking care of them. i even got mama and the tiny one to feed again to make him/her grow. The bigger one does have more energy but this one is trying to walk and moving its head and all of that. When he/she was born I had no idea about Peanuts until i googled runts chances of survival and care then Peanuts popped up and now im a bit freaked, Be sad if she/he died. Anyway to tell if this is mamas first litter or not?

That's quite a bit of difference. Just wait and see. The litter box may not keep the kits contained for long and its not very big. You'd be surprised how much newborns can move around. If one gets out it'll get cold pretty quick. What's in there besides fur? Ideally, you'd have a base of bedding or hay and then mom's fur on top of that.

Well since I didnt even know she was pregnant, it has litter pellets hay and her fur thats why I was asking wasnt sure if its good for the pellets to be in. and haha they have moved a lot for kits to be born earlier today.

The size different is very striking. It and the very small ears make me lean towards runt, however the hind end doesn't look overly un-formed to me. It's hard to say "time will tell" when a peanut will suffer, however putting down a perfectly healthy runt accidentally thinking it's a peanut is also sad.

A very big surprise indeed, I hope they both stay healthy :)

Latest posts

Back