Unexpected kit death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiemonster

Reaction score
Cookies baby who isnt even a week old died... it was out by Cookies food dish and was very stiff so i knew it was dead.. im wondering.. What could have happened?? they have been getting fed by mom as i have seen her feed and they looked healthy... is there something i could do to prevent the others from passing??

It could have been accidentally stepped on, but it's impossible to know really. I always checked on my kits several times a day just to make sure they were all doing well. I think that's about all you can do.

It could’ve crawled out of nest and not found it’s way back, freezing to death or could’ve been hanging on to mum after feed and fallen out of nesting box??? I had that happen with my buns so I would always make so I checked on them often enough and put them back in nest

No, it was the same size as the others... i got think and the way it was laying looked like it got drug out of the nest box by mom??
Could be. Or the other babies might be kicking it out too. My momma bun did this to a baby in her last and I kept on putting it back in. Eventually it died for unknown reasons, probably not developed right. Animals can sense things about their babies that we can’t.

Latest posts

Back