Unexpected bird death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissyAndMoonlight

Reaction score
We got a bird about a month ago, and yesterday he was dead in his cage under his food bowl. He was only a few months old and perfectly healthy- at least to our knowledge. Is there any chance he choked on his food or water? The day he died he was acting completely normal, flying around his cage and the room. There were zero visible signs that there was anything wrong with him. The only thing I can think of is that he either choked on his food or just happened to die somehow coincidentally under his food bowl?

Sorry for your poor bird. I'm not a bird owner but I feed the wild birds in my garden and I've regularly had to nurse an injured / young bird I couldn't immediately release into the wild. The only thing I can tell is that they are fragile little things and, not unlike rabbits, they tend not to show any obvious sign that something is wrong until it's too late. I also found a few dead birds from different sizes and species under the bird feeder over the years. I don't think they chocked. I just think they hanged around there a lot because it was where the food was so it was just there that death found them. I often suspect a heart failure or something similar.

Sorry for your loss... Its always so hard when you loose an animal... I get so attached to animals that im a wreck when one of them passes...

Latest posts

Back