Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U.P. Rabbitry

Reaction score
Hi I have a few show rabbits that are under weight and they will be going to a how in a little over one week! What is a good way to put weight on rabbit fast??? Is it ok to switch from rabbit pellets to straight Alfalfa pellets to put some weight on?

Thanks

Not safe to just switch pellets like that. I typically used calf manna pellets to get weight on fast. Start slowly adding it to their daily ration of pellets so there is no digestive upset.

Flemish giant are quite often underweight... especially with young seniors, some of them are just not structurally built to be 13, 14+ lbs - and I don't think you can healthily manage a pound of weight gain within a week. Rex are commonly underweight too (they're the breed I most commonly DQ for weight) however at 5 lbs I'm questioning if that really is a rex - the minimum weight for a senior rex is like 7.5-8 lbs? 5 lbs less than that is solidly in mini rex range. Did you mean 5 ounces? If not you might as well enter it as a mini rex.

Flemish giant are quite often underweight... especially with young seniors, some of them are just not structurally built to be 13, 14+ lbs - and I don't think you can healthily manage a pound of weight gain within a week. Rex are commonly underweight too (they're the breed I most commonly DQ for weight) however at 5 lbs I'm questioning if that really is a rex - the minimum weight for a senior rex is like 7.5-8 lbs? 5 lbs less than that is solidly in mini rex range. Did you mean 5 ounces? If not you might as well enter it as a mini rex.

My rex stays at a solid 5 pounds she is a year old. She is pedigrees standard rex. I talk to the breeder who I totally trust and she said there is no way it's a mini rex!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1580401762201.jpg
    FB_IMG_1580401762201.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3
Ears are huge compared to the body size. But she definitely looks like every mini rex that I have had.
I actually had a woman sell me two "Mini Rexes" but they were 8 lbs. I saw the mom and she looked like a full rex and the dad looked like a full mini rex. I asked her about it and she said that they are indeed mini rex but when I asked the moms weight she said 9 lbs but I never said anything about it. Cause I knew that they were mini rex/rex mix. They weren't pedigreed but still, I knew they weren't full mini rex. Sometimes people make mistakes and maybe the mom or dad could have been mini and the person she bought it from made a mistake on the pedigree. Unless the other siblings are normal size, because at a year old they should be full-grown, she may just be a genetic mishap and ended up smaller. Have you seen mom and dad and asked their weight?
Also, @SableSteel if OP entered as mini would ears be a DQ or fault as it looks too long for the limit of mini rex ears?

Ears are huge compared to the body size. But she definitely looks like every mini rex that I have had.
I actually had a woman sell me two "Mini Rexes" but they were 8 lbs. I saw the mom and she looked like a full rex and the dad looked like a full mini rex. I asked her about it and she said that they are indeed mini rex but when I asked the moms weight she said 9 lbs but I never said anything about it. Cause I knew that they were mini rex/rex mix. They weren't pedigreed but still, I knew they weren't full mini rex. Sometimes people make mistakes and maybe the mom or dad could have been mini and the person she bought it from made a mistake on the pedigree. Unless the other siblings are normal size, because at a year old they should be full-grown, she may just be a genetic mishap and ended up smaller. Have you seen mom and dad and asked their weight?
Also, @SableSteel if OP entered as mini would ears be a DQ or fault as it looks too long for the limit of mini rex ears?

Yes I have seen pictures of the parents both are very big sized! I weigh my rabbits every day and she is now up to 6 1/2 pounds so she is gaining weight with calf manna and alfalfa
On 1-19 she was 5
1-26 5 1/2
1-27 5 1/2
1-29 6
1-30 6 1/2
So should I cut back feed and keep her mini rex weight or keep lots of feed to keep her growing?
Thanks for all of your help

As long as she is not looking chubby, which in the previous picture (I don't know how recent it was) but she looked like she was very proportionate and not overweight nor underweight. The main way to tell if a rabbit is underweight is if you feel their back and hips and if they are sharp then they are underweight, if you have a hard time feeling them then they are overweight.

As long as she is not looking chubby, which in the previous picture (I don't know how recent it was) but she looked like she was very proportionate and not overweight nor underweight. The main way to tell if a rabbit is underweight is if you feel their back and hips and if they are sharp then they are underweight, if you have a hard time feeling them then they are overweight.

That picture is a month old here are pictures today her stomach looks huge

Attachments

• 20200130_134526.jpg
    20200130_134526.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200130_134459.jpg
    20200130_134459.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back