Underweight rabbit 5 months looking like 2 months very tiny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuppa

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a little lionhead here his previous owner said he's 5 1/2 months old I couldn't believe her thought it is a mix-up or something but true they had hm for 3 months and he was 10 weeks when they got him. He was smallest in his litter and didn't grow much over past 3 months. I can't believe Leo is a dwarf/lionhead mix he was this size when 8 weeks and was a bit heavier I am just totally shocked he's 5 months.

He's very tiny like a baby and his testicles are not fully dropped but I can see sacks there. He's very quiet not very active and eat very little. I have him for two days now there was about one day portion of Burgess pellets in his bowl yesterday morning and I wouldn't say he doesn't eat at all no he's coming to get some but maybe just a few and that's probably enough for him until next time. His bowl still almost full.

He ate some hay but very little as well, I gave him some coriander cilantro, half of celery stick and 1/3 of a tiny carrot he ate coriander well, didn't touch celery and ate carrot but he has no appetite just eat sometimes a little then goes away.

I don't know his weight maybe under 1kg.

He's very relaxed and likes cuddles, liked when I brushed his coat and trimmed his hair around eyes as he couldn't see so he doesn't look like a lionhead at the moment because I trimmed a bit too much I still keep learning how to use this new hair clipper.

He was more active today I gave him a toilet roll and it was something new for him he really liked it throwing it around and chewing.

I honestly shocked and thinking how to feed him he's on unlimited Burgess dwarf/infant pellets but doesn't eat much, I can give him a carrot every day and was thinking maybe rolled oats or what else?

P1060260.JPG

He is fluffy especially from his back but that's just hair his legs are so tiny and he's moving slowly I can't say his family starved him no he had everything and fruits even pineapple and he had this little chewing stick plastic with grains and he kinda used it yesterday but today I just took it away as not sure about grains.

He poops normal amount of berries small but maybe because he's small himself, I say he looks like 8-10 weeks baby. He uses Back2nature pellets and for two days I honestly don't see where he urinated there's only spot from his water bottle so he pees so little as well.P1060207.JPG

That's from the first day

P1060135.JPG

Here's with Bernie, she's also tiny she's not mini lop but not full size maybe she's mix holland lop with mini lop. But she's about twice bigger, she's 13 months old so it's her full adult size but she's much smaller that Smokey who is a holland lop.

P1060141.JPG

I don't have a photo with Leo but he's twice bigger now he's 8 months old now.

Last edited:
The first thing I think you should do is take him to a vet for a physical check up. There may be a medical reason why he is under weight, such as teeth problems or a gastrointestinal disease.

The first thing I think you should do is take him to a vet for a physical check up. There may be a medical reason why he is under weight, such as teeth problems or a gastrointestinal disease.
Yeah I thought that too, maybe something is not right with his teeth or stomach they said he was smallest in his litter so maybe didn't get enough milk I don't know how many kits were with him. I am going to feed him and watch him for a couple weeks then I am going to take Leo to a vet for neutering and maybe will take him for a quick question too. We'll see if anything changes during this time I'll try to feed him more maybe take his pellets away so he had no access and give 2-3 times a day and see if he's hungry maybe he just had too much. Also they gave me a bowl with fruits for him a few pieces of a pineapple, kiwi, melon, watermelon and grape, like 100 gram bowl I am not sure for pineapple honestly I gave him a piece of carrot and fresh herbs.

Latest posts

Back