Uncomfortable, Ellie?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
This morning while I was doing my normal things in the kitchen, I noticed that Ellie was trying to flop around everywhere. She was flopped out in the path to the fridge, so when I stepped over her she got up, went to her box and struggled to flop out in the box.
She has been moving every 30 seconds to a minute for the last 10 minutes, trying to find the best place to flop out. Even flopping in the cats litter box. I got her out of the litter box and put it outside, and replaced it with a brand new clean litter box with just hay in it.

I don't know if she has gas or not, she won't let me get anywhere near her to check. I put some simethicone on the floor for her, since thats the only way she'll eat it.

So my thoughts are, she either has gas and is uncomfortable, and I'll have to go to the vet tomorrow morning. OR shes been acting really grumpy the last few weeks, so maybe shes having a false pregnancy and thinks shes about to have kits? Do they act uncomfortable like that when they're kindling?
I'm not going to bank on a false pregnancy, because its probably gas. But just a thought.

When I do go to the vet tomorrow, since thats probably going to happen, what medications will I need? Metacam, and what?

Thanks!

ETA: Isn't like, they get gas once or have a problem once, they're going to have a problem again? Is this going to be on going? If so, I really need to learn to treat this stuff better on my own.

Last edited:
Is she eating? I know when Twigs gets gas he won't eat not even fruit. Also is she flopping or sitting all bunched up. If she's sitting all bunched up then I say it is gas.

I put her morning pellets down and she didn't eat them. Or even look at them.

I'm going to have to force some simethicone into her. Hopefully that will help a little bit.

When Bella had an episode of gas we used a few doses of simethicone, tummy rubs, and I made sure to keep her active. Eventually she started eating a few hours later. Good luck!!

Generally what I do for the beginning stages(last ate less than 12 hours ago) of an upset stomach, is make sure the bun isn't cold and warm up if they are, then give simethicone for the three hourly doses. Then gentle tummy rubs and encourage hopping around. But if I don't see some improvement within several hours then I would want to get them into the vet that same day. You may be ok to wait til tomorrow to see the vet, but sometimes waiting also can just make the condition much worse when early treatment can sometimes make all the difference.

If you do go to the vet and it's not a complete blockage and the stasis isn't being caused by another health problem, you want metacam, metaclop(gut stimulant), and you may need critical care as well if you will need to syringe feed.

Try offering leafy greens. Much better for her to be eating than pellets right now, and often the first thing they will start to munch on. ETA: Make sure the greens aren't wilted at all, as off veggies can sometimes be a cause for an upset stomach.

Last edited:
I made an appointment at the vets office for 4:30 today, with the rabbit vet. Shes acting really crazy and I need to get her in there today. I thought she would be okay till tomorrow, but I had to call my husband and tell him to come home and get me.

Good lord, I hope shes okay.

Hope my little Ellie is OK, probably just some gas and if the vet sees her they should be able to sort her out. It's awful when they're not well. I've just done a post as Bandy has a lump under his chin, can't believe I didn't see it before...vettrip for me as well tomoro.

Just got back from the vets.

They did an x-ray of her tummy, her whole stomach is filled with food but nothing foreign. He gave her 50cc's of sub-q liquid and gave me the bag and some needles to do it myself until she starts eating on her own. I got some gut motility stuff, met...something or other. He gave her her first dose already. Got some more critical care.

He said that he thinks her diet has a lot to do with this. So I'm going to cut her pellets back a lot and add lots more leafy greens. I should have been doing that from the start, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

But he said that she wasn't too far gone and she could come back from it. I just have to stay on top of her.
I hope that all goes well with her. Poor bun.

My poor baby. I'm sure she'll bounce back, mine eat quite a lot of veggies and keep pushing the hay. Lots of nose bonks from mine for Ellie :p

I'm glad that it's at least not looking like a full blockage, so that is a good thing, and they can usually pull out of it just fine when it's not. I'm guessing an impacted cecum was also ruled out since xrays were taken, and were her teeth checked, or maybe they were checked last time she was in there?

Poor little Ellie :( I hope she's feeling better soon.

Ohh! I forgot to tell about her teeth. I told the vet that the other vet checked them and said that her molars looked askew. He checked them today and said that they look perfect. Which is a huge relief!

No impacted cecum, just everything sitting in her stomach. He called it Ileus, her gut stopped moving. He said, diets high in carbs or stress can cause it.

He did say that there is a chance that this could happen again. I just have to correct her diet and hope that thats the cause. Lets all hope that it isn't life long.

Glad that it's nothing too complicated. I am sure if you change her diet, she'll be fine. Great about her teeth as well. I will thinking of her tonight while I worry about Bandy :p

That's a relief. I'll be saying a prayer. If you are worried it could happen again then maybe look into setting up a first aid kit for Ellie so next time you'll have what you need to start dealing with it quickly especially if it's he weekend or night when maybe you can't get to a vets.

Thats why the vet gave me the sub-q bag of fluid and taught me how to do it, in case it was weekend or night when this happened.

I need to get my rabbit first aid kit set up again, and my human one. I was going to go to the store tonight to get the stuff for my human first aid kit, but didn't get around to that. Tomorrow night, I will stock up on everything.

The only good thing about these vet trips is, I now how some supplies in case this happens again, or if anyone near me needed something.

Ellie did just eat some cilantro, which is exciting! Hopefully she'll start pooping soon! Once AJ goes to bed, I'm going to get her and force feed her some critical care. I wanted to give her some down time between the vets office and the feeding, and to let that sub-q liquid absorb into her body, because she had a big weird lump. LOL Now to get on a schedule for force feeding and liquids. Thankfully, I am home ALL the time, so I'm able to do this!

Great news! Ellie pooped! A nice pile of poop along with some pee. It looks like the fluids and gut motility meds are working!

I managed to get half her recommended amount of critical care down. And she has eaten several small handuls of cilantro.

I hope everything continues to go well.

That's great news! Eating and pooping is always a good sign, especially when it happens the same day of getting sick. Those sub q fluids will help some, but more important is getting fluid and fiber into her digestive tract, so that's great you got some critical care into her and that she's eating her leafy greens. Good girl Ellie :)

Also good to hear on the teeth being all good too. One less thing to worry about.

This morning, there is more poop and pee in her litter box. I just got done giving her her fluids, that wasn't as hard as I thought!
Only, I forgot to give her the gut meds while I had her wrapped. I'm going to give her a few minutes to cool off, since shes angry with me and I'll get the meds into her.

She did eat some pellets through the night, and the cilantro I put in there before bed. I did force feed her last night. I forgot that I mentioned that already, I was so tired last night, that I don't even remember updating! LOL

She has shredded some of her sea grass mat already this morning. AND she is super unhappy about being penned and handled, so that tells me shes feeling better. I'm not going to get my hopes up too high though, since this happened last time, she was okay for a while then stopped eating again and was hunched up.

Anyway, her vet told me yesterday to keep pushing fluids, and critical care until she was passionately eating on her own again. Not like, nibbling here and there, but tucking into her food like normal.
Tonight I'm going to get an assortment of leafy greens for her, so she can have plenty of variety, I'll start her slow, don't worry! And some stuff for the first aid kits. Hopefully, next time this happens, I can get her through it on my own. But sometimes, its just really nice hearing a vet tell me what to do. LOL

Have a good day! I'll update if theres any change!

I'm glad she's still feeling better this morning. A bunny with an attitude is always a good sign they aren't feeling too bad :) Here's hoping she's back to her trouble making self in no time :p

I am so glad she's feeling better, a grumpy bun is a good sign. Don't they just worry us sick, my three are going to make me old before my time :p

Latest posts

Back