um help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:))

Reaction score
Hello...so a while ago I bought two “female” rabbits (I checked them they seemed to be 100% female) they bonded.They are from different litters and they do very well together,sharing food cleaning each other....but recently I’ve noticed the smaller “female” humping the larger...Im aware females can hump each other as a display of dominance but it was happening too often for that...I decided to triple check their genders...the larger is a female and the smaller.. “female” *plot twist* is a male( now that he is matured it’s quite obvious)I’m positive she’s pregnant I’ve noticed her growling and thumping also Eating a lot more so this is a for sure thing...this has never happened to me before and they are housed together...I don’t have an option of separation right now I will have an option last two days before birth.Will he continue to mate with her during pregnancy and will it hurt the babies or her or even him..she is muchhh larger and more agressive so she’s not completely vulnerable.your thoughts ?>>>

You should keep them away from each other, it will become really stressful both for the buck and doe. They might hurt each other.

So try to solve the problem of them not being together. If you are not careful, the doe can give birth and the buck will breed her again. Then you will have kits 4 weeks later while she still nursing kits.

He might try to mate, but if she doesn't lift (she won't) it's in vain. Watch them closely, if he is too persistant and the doe gets fed up she might turn on him and fight back, depends on their character. Angry rabbits can inflict seriuos injuries.

With my buck it's really bad in spring, he tried to hump his spayed cuddlebun for 2 months streight, he just couldn't help himself, but it got rapidly better last week. On the other hand, when I left a doe with him for a week I didn't notice much humping, but she changed colour, from grey/white to yellow/brown, pee was even dripping from the ceiling of his hutch.....

How would you know when it's just days until she's due? I mean, you have no idea when they did mate the first time, right? The last thing you want is him around when she gives birth, will impregnate her right again, to 100%, might even mess up her delivering, disgusting little creatures ;)

In this situation, I would seperate them soon, especially when he's literally a PITA to her.

You should keep them away from each other, it will become really stressful both for the buck and doe. They might hurt each other.

So try to solve the problem of them not being together. If you are not careful, the doe can give birth and the buck will breed her again. Then you will have kits 4 weeks later while she still nursing kits.

I’m trying my best to get them seperated thank you so much

He might try to mate, but if she doesn't lift (she won't) it's in vain. Watch them closely, if he is too persistant and the doe gets fed up she might turn on him and fight back, depends on their character. Angry rabbits can inflict seriuos injuries.

With my buck it's really bad in spring, he tried to hump his spayed cuddlebun for 2 months streight, he just couldn't help himself, but it got rapidly better last week. On the other hand, when I left a doe with him for a week I didn't notice much humping, but she changed colour, from grey/white to yellow/brown, pee was even dripping from the ceiling of his hutch.....

How would you know when it's just days until she's due? I mean, you have no idea when they did mate the first time, right? The last thing you want is him around when she gives birth, will impregnate her right again, to 100%, might even mess up her delivering, disgusting little creatures ;)

In this situation, I would seperate them soon, especially when he's literally a PITA to her.

That’s true..I don’t know exactly when they started :0 jeez thanks so much I’m gonna see how soon I can get them their own individual housing...

Definitely need to separate ASAP for safety (and back-to-back pregnancies) reasons - when rabbits get pissed off, fights can get vicious or even deadly. You could perhaps keep one in a bathroom until you figure something more permanent out, as long as they aren't inclined to chew the plastic water line under the back of the toilet *shakes her fist at Alice* (or just block access to it somehow, like a NIC cage grid or a piece of HARD (not soft, like pine, unless it's kiln-dried) wood or whatever you can find... depending on the rabbit, a few layers of cardboard may even work).

If you don't want the litter, you can talk to a rabbit-savvy vet about an "emergency spay" - basically just a regular spay, but with the added knowledge that the female is preggers. Because the uterus is removed during the spay (or at least would be in an emergency spay; many vets in England and the occasional US vet do an ovaries-only spay in most cases), the pregnancy would be terminated. How far into the pregnancy the vet is willing to perform a spay varies.

If you want to keep the litter, please read up as much as possible on the topic! First time mothers are especially prone to complications like stillbirths, stuck kits (especially if she's not full grown) and abandoning kits. Even if all goes well, expect her to (seriously, like 90% chance) give birth outside of the provided nestbox. If/when that happens, make sure to transfer both her nest and the kits into the appropriate nest box (with rare exception, does don't care if you touch their kits... if she seems suspicious, just move her where she can't see you do it - the smell of your hand on her babies will NOT cause rejection).

Latest posts

Back