ugh, please help..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heth

Reaction score
My bun is around 8 months old. She's been perfectly healthy, gets plenty of playtime and very much adored. Yesterday, I noticed that she was slightly scratching her ear, but it didn't show anything. Today when I came home from work it is horrible. I have pictures, I don't know what is wrong with her ear. She is scratching it every 5 minutes it seems. The vets are all closed and even the animal hospital can't help me tonight since their rabbit vet is out of town. I'm so worried for her, I don't know what to do to help her until I can find a vet. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears:(

Picture015.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Have you looked into the ear? Is there any "crustsy", flaky discharge
going on down there? You can try cleaning/wiping the discharge/flakes
with Mineral Oil. I would also apply some Triple Anti-Biotic to the area that
is bloody.......after the Mineral Oil.

Judging from the pics (kinda blurry so not entirely sure) it looks like it could be ear mites. Have you changed your bunny's litter or bought a new bag recently? I know that Carefresh has issues with mite problems sometimes.If you believe that my guess is right, you want to remove your bunny from her current litter, disinfect before replacing with completely new litter (buy a new bag and throw out old bag).

check out this movie:http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/Rabbitearmites.movto see what ear mites could potentially look like if not treated.

Normally vets treat mites with recurring doses of ivermectin,and I know some ppl have had good results with vegetable/mineral oil too. You can put a couple drops in each ear. You can buy ivermectin horse paste over the counter at a feed store/tractor supply store and give your rabbit a small pea size dose per week for 3 weeks.

of course, a trip to the vet isn't a bad idea too.

please keep me updated, k?

hope that helps!

The pics are kind of blurry, but from what I can see, it looks like ear mites. You need to get to the vet when it is possible to get some cream for it. But for now, use mineral oil. It is perfectly safe to use.

Sharon

Yeah, she lets me look into it. It's crusty and it has blood from her scratching. I honestly don't even think I could open her ear, it's like crusted shut on the inside, if that makes sense.

I change her litter every other day since she's really not that messy. I'm using carefresh right now because it seems to be the only thing I can find around here. I've used it since day one and no problems until now. I don't have mineral oil here, think walmart would carry it? She just looks helpless.

heth wrote:
Ichange her litter every other day since she' really not that messy. I'musing carefresh right now because it seems to be the only thing I canfind around here. I've used it since day one and no problems until now.I don't have mineral oil here, think walmart would carry it? She justlooks helpless.
you can buy mineral oil in any drugstore, grocery stores,etc. I believe walmart has it in the "health and beauty aids"section.

hope that helps!

Awwww, poor baby!Sounds like you've gotten some great advice, I would definitely try the mineral oil.

Good luck :)

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

Hi I don't know anything about ear mites so I am certainly learning. Please let us know how she is doing. You certainly have a lot of good advice.

Cookie had itchy ears for a while (although he never developed the crust) and I used the Mineral Oil (that I got from Walmart) - treated him a couple times with it, and no more itchies.

Good luck - let us know how the baby is doing

_______
Nadia

bunnyslave wrote:
Normally vets treat mites with recurring doses of ivermectin,and I know some ppl have had good results with vegetable/mineral oil too. You can put a couple drops in eachear. You can buy ivermectin horse paste over the counter at afeed store/tractor supply store and give your rabbit a small pea size dose per week for 3 weeks.

of course, a trip to the vet isn't a bad idea too.

IMO.....I would recommend a vet visit.

Be very careful about using ivermectin on on a dutch. We had a member almost lose his dutch doe by treating her with ivermectin......

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5851&forum_id=1.

Some breeds are genetically sensitive to it...if I remember correctly, white feet had something to do with identifying sensitive breeds.

~Jim

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your advice. I took her to the vet next day, sat there for 8 hours as an emergency walk in. All the local vets were closed due to some convention. My little one has ear mites :(. They gave her a shot of ivermectin, so helpfully that helps!! And to top it off, she's starting to hump everything in site!! Thanks again for all the useful and wonderful advice.:bunnydance:

O My Lord that video is AWFUL!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:faint:I thought Fur Mites were bad!!!
Now - are Ear Mites and Fur-Mites one in the same (depending on what part of the rabbit they settle on) or are they different bugs? Some of the reading I have done is not quite clear on that, and they are both treated the same way...

sfritzp wrote:
O My Lord that video is AWFUL!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  1. clean cage 1:10 bleach/water solution
  2. throw away wooden items or you can bake the wooden items to kill any harboring mites (I would probably just throw away, why take the risk when any wooden cage items (ie toys, wood chews etc) or litter can be bought new?)
  3. sprinkle a light layer ofsome 5% (not 10%) carbaryl (aka sevin dust) in the sleeping quarters to kill mites hidden in deep in carpet or still in cage. Itsa garden pesticide that can be bought at any gardening store, grocery store, home depot, lowes,etc etc. It is safe (at 5%) for your bunny so you don't have to separate your bunny while the dust is in the living quarters... as long as its a light sprinkle of carbaryl. (recommended by my rabbit vet)
hope that helps!

Very good information on the ear mite issue.I just wanted to add, If you do not have mineral oil in the house you can use other oils. I once used olive oil for ear mites on my rabbit.
The mites breath through pores in their skin and the oil coats them and prevents them from breathing. It also loosens up the crusty brown junk so it can be cleaned out easier. I put a few drops in each ear and then gentlymassage.

I am pretty sure that the mites came from the litter that I was using. I use a different litter now and I also check both buns ears on a regular basis.:D Beckie

bunnyslave wrote:
3. sprinkle a light layer ofsome 5% (not 10%) carbarylaka sevin dust in the sleeping quarters to kill mites hidden in deep incarpet or still in cage. Itsa garden pesticide thatcan be bought at any gardening store, grocery store, home depot, lowes,etc etc. It is safe (at 5%) for your bunny so you don't haveto separate your bunny while the dust is in the living quarters... aslong as its a light sprinkle of carbaryl. (recommended by myrabbit vet)
Another friend of mine recommends dustmitex too (it contains carbaryl), so thats another option too!

http://www.dustmitex.com/

You can find it on ebay too! (Have I mentioned I am a HUGE ebay freak??)

Latest posts

Back