Typical meal for England 1930?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for menu items for a dinner party I am planning. It is a murder mystery evening where everyone dresses up and plays a part. I want to continue the theme with the food served, but I'm not even sure where to look for ideas. Then it came to me- all the folks from the UK that are here!

:biggrin2:

It is set in an English estate, 1930. While I don't live in a mansion, I will decorate to make things look fancier (using the good dishes hehehehe). There will be snacks, the main meal, and desert. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is a small section of imported things in my local grocery store so I might be able to get some cookies, crackers, jam etc. from England too.

I'm such a geek, but it is going to be great fun I think. :p

Oh how fun!! I'm such a dork when it comes to stuff like this too. Actually at living history farms where I took Wendell, they do dinners like this. I told my hubby I want to go and he looked at me like I had six heads.

Anyway, when I think of England I think of fish n chips and pints of beer :) that's all I can think of! Sorry not much help. I hope it goes good!

LOL I thought of the same thing! I was hoping for something a little less.... fried. :p

I will post pictures. This is my reward for when I get my house clean and organized. I'm taking a 10 week extreme home make over class on line to get everything looking better. Between my zoo and the husband the house can get so out of control fast!

Nothing useful to contribute except that I LOVE murder mystery parties. I should try to convince my roommate that we should host one!

What a creative idea for a party!!! Gosh, I can barely do dinner for one;)

Things that come to mind--Beef Wellington, shepherd's pie (there's actually a great weight watcher's recipe for one), sausage and mash, meat pie (for Sweeney Todd fans)...if alcohol is allowed--sherry is always served when the Hercule Poirot (sp?) comes to interrogate the guests in Agatha Christy novels. Sorry, not too many vegetarian dishes from the 30s. Welsh Rarebit is the only one I can think of. For desert? Has to be trifle. Delicious and easy.

Also--I'm racking my brain for the name of another English roast beef dish baked with puff pastry...I can't think of the name of it and it's driving me crazy. If I think of it I'll let you know.

Have fun!!!

Oh I love the shepher's pie idea! I can bake them in my very cute individual dishes. It would be easy to prepare in advance, pop in the oven, and it will be ready at a good break in the game. I bought a kit so all the scripts and details are worked out for me, I just have to figure out the food. :)

Some of the guests probably would drink sherry, so I will have that on hand. I can use the real English cookies for the trifle. I'm getting excited! Now just to get the house clean so I can do this. heheheee

A lot of the food served then would have a French influence. There would probably be courses.
Courtesy of Julia Childs and her dinner party menu ideas, these are my suggestions:
First course, Scallops in wine sauce garnished with tomato fondue.
Main course, Casserole roast of beef with aromatic vegetables and potatoes.
Dessert course, which is a meringue dessert or Le Vacherin. Its a meringue case that holds ice cream or a fruit/berry mixture.

I don't know if you're a serious cook like I am. But just reading these recipes makes me want to make them right now. I can send you the recipes if you're interested in them.
But as far as I've read, theres a French influence in a lot of the English dinner parties for that time period and before. So, hope this helps. Good luck, have fun!

Are you going to speak in a British accent too?! I have to say I wish I was born in England. *Sigh*

This dinner party sounds like a fantastic idea. Shepherd's Pie was definitely a peasant's dish, but it is delicious in any case! Beef Wellington I believe was more upper class. That isn't hard to make (I have never made it myself however). You could even do mini ones if you wanted individual servings. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2538/beef-wellington

For desert you could do a trifle (always a beautiful presentation). OH! Or Bakewell Tart! It's heavenly... http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3943/bakewell-tart

I hope there is tea, of course!

What great ideas! I can cook, but I don't do anything complicated very often. I'm looking at this more as a project so I'm willing to try something a bit more challenging. It is set in a masion so I will have to make the shepherd's pie for us at another time.

I don't know why I didn't think of Julia Child! You guys are wonderful, thank you!

A couple of the guests do theater on a regular basis so their accents are great. The rest of us will try our best.

Tea is a given, can't be British without tea!

I was going to say Yorkshire. Also second the suggestion on what class of people you'll be emulating as it will definitely effect what you have on the menu. If you were here, I'd send you to an English Market in Henderson to pick their brain.

Latest posts

Back