Types of hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yubin

Reaction score
Hello, I just recently bought hay from a person. This person claims that this is 1st cut timothy hay with a mixed of alfalfa hay. I usually buy 1st cut Timothy hay from Ontario farms and it consists with a lot of timothy seed heads and thicker stems. This was soft and smooth and it makes me think it's a mix if timothy/orchard and alfalfa from 3rd cut.

Do you know what kind of hay this is? Would this be good for my adult bunnies who are over age 1 but under age 5. One of my buns is a bit overweight, she eats like a cow T-T

Thank you.

20211024_231604.jpg20211024_231617.jpg20211024_231715.jpg

20211024_231719.jpg20211024_231726.jpg

An extra picture if needed:
s-l640.webp

I don't know what kind of grass hay it is, but it could be it's a leafier first cut because it was cut at an earlier growth stage. But I'm not sure I would feed that. There are a lot of brown strands, which is fine though not really nutritious. But I'm also seeing what might be black on some of those strands. If there are black spots, that can be an indication of mold,, which would be very harmful to feed to your rabbit. Moldy hay is hay that got wet after drying and curing in the field. Moldy hay may also have white spots, white dust, and have a sour or musty smell to it.

I don't know what kind of grass hay it is, but it could be it's a leafier first cut because it was cut at an earlier growth stage. But I'm not sure I would feed that. There are a lot of brown strands, which is fine though not really nutritious. But I'm also seeing what might be black on some of those strands. If there are black spots, that can be an indication of mold,, which would be very harmful to feed to your rabbit. Moldy hay is hay that got wet after drying and curing in the field. Moldy hay may also have white spots, white dust, and have a sour or musty smell to it.

Hello! I never seen first cut Timothy hay without the timothy heads. Most of my first cut have the heads and harder stems. This one was soft, no hay heads, there are some sticks in them. Yeah, there's quite a bit (brown ones), I think it's because it's old. Sorry, I think that might be my phone and light. I went back to check, there's no black spots.
The guy who i bought this from said, "The farmer said this is second cut Timothy, with less than 20% alfalfa, which is better for rabbits than first cut because it does not have the seed heads which is a little rich for the rabbits. "

Is that true? My buns love the timothy heads.

The bag still smells leafy but a bit old. I've checked through the bag, there is no white spots, sour/musty smell.

My other bag that I usually get have dandelion seeds (the white fluffy one where you can blow off the dandelion). I haven;t found any information if rabbits can eat it, but on another rabbit forum which is the only one I found, they said they can eat all of the dandelion including the seeds. My buns have been sneezing but they poop, drink, eat, run all fine when there was some dandelion seeds attached.

Latest posts

Back