Type of litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnie

Reaction score
What type of litter is safe to use in the litter boxes? I have Bonnie and Paisley inside for now. Eventually Paisley, maybe both, will go outside to live in the hutches when they are finished.

I put shavings in the cages and in the boxes. Bonnie uses her box about 80% of the time. Paisley is on day 2 of the litter pan and so far she uses it as a bed, not a potty.

What kind of litter is safe for rabbits?

Having shavings in both the cage and the boxes will confuse bunny as to where to go. It is best to put litter in the boxes, and no bedding in the rest of the cage.

If by shavings, you mean pine or cedar shavings, those are not healthy for bunnies since those shavings emit toxic fumes. Aspen shavings are ok.

There are many litter brands that can work instead. Carefresh and Yesterday's News unscented are popular options. Many here (including myself) use wood pellets for litter (used in wood stoves or as horse bedding). You want to avoid any cat litters that are clay or clumping.

This is how I set up my litterbox:

16589_242226_010000000.jpg

Equine fresh pine pellets are $6 for 40lbs and you can't beat it! You will find it at farm and feed stores! Many here use it with great success. I also use care fresh from time to time.

I say shavings but I do use the pellets, same for horses. That is what I have in both the litter pan and the cage itself. I would hate to leave nothing on the bottom of the cages, I guess I could get some felt.

They have the litter boxes that sit in the corner of the cage, I wouldnt have enough room to put the hay in. But I put the food and hay next to the litter. Bonnie sits in her pan and eats/poos.

What type of litter is safe to use in the litter boxes? I have Bonnie and Paisley inside for now. Eventually Paisley, maybe both, will go outside to live in the hutches when they are finished.

I put shavings in the cages and in the boxes. Bonnie uses her box about 80% of the time. Paisley is on day 2 of the litter pan and so far she uses it as a bed, not a potty.

What kind of litter is safe for rabbits?
--with a herbivore,-it is best to use in the poop box,the very same grasses that are the main staple-*daily-ie timothy/orchard--please--do-not use any scented-pine,cedar or any clay,,as these are dangerous and will cause health hazzards http://www.medirabbit.com or house of rabbit society,,-rabbits kept at room temperature are easier to diagnose problems and live longer,,--sincerely james waller:sunshine::thankyou:

For 1 of my rabbits I use kaytee soft granule blend bedding and for the other I use yesterdays news. Both work great. I have not had luck with the wood pellets. They do not help with the smell in my opinion. I have also tried carefresh, aspen shavings, corncob and others with no luck.

Latest posts

Back