Two level cage ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howie

Reaction score
Hi all,

My rabbit has a room he can roam in all day but it is on the smaller size so I'm trying to maximize space. I currently have a one story cage but thinking of upgrading to something like this:
1630845389743.png
Do you think it is worth the upgrade ?

Also if you know where to buy a cage like this please let me know. I'm unable to do DIYs at the moment.

Thanks for any help!

Hi all,

My rabbit has a room he can roam in all day but it is on the smaller size so I'm trying to maximize space. I currently have a one story cage but thinking of upgrading to something like this:
View attachment 57481
Do you think it is worth the upgrade ?

Also if you know where to buy a cage like this please let me know. I'm unable to do DIYs at the moment.

Thanks for any help!
So if I'm understanding correctly, he's free roamed in a room?
How large is the room? I don't think adding a cage with a second level would add to the floorspace since rabbits aren't climbing animals like rats or chinchillas. :) As long as he gets time out of the room for playtime then it's okay, I don't think spending $150+ for a cage would really help when there's ground level enrichment that you can do that would benifit him better. You can also consider something cheaper if you still want to add second levels- think side tables! You can put a fleece on top and it can be a hidey and a spot to perch and look around. A good table is the Ikea Lack, it's only $10 and my bun loves it!
I hope this helped! 🙃

Since you have a dedicated room, I would rather make something using cheap furniture, or from scrap. Like, I had a small cupboard under one window, so I built a ramp up there and a surface to lie between curtain and window. They do climb ramps or hop up stairs, but they are somewhat awkward up there so putting a board around a drop as railing is always a good idea.

I doubt your rabbit would use that cage much, and I guess for the costs of that you'll might something nice at Ikea or secondhand.

I do not think it's worth the upgrade for that particular cage. You want something with good run-room, even when restricted, and that (and many cages) are going to have very narrow ramps and general size as well within them.

When you say you're unable to DIYs, does that mean online ordering of grids is not an option? A NIC cage would be the best way to maximize a small space as opposed to the large majority of pre-made cages. There some discussion here around construction: Need Help Deciding On Which NIC Cube Set To Get - Zip Ties Etc.

We have two NIC cube "apartments" and each one has a "balcony" like the one shown. The buns love them. We now use 13-inch wide strips of cardboard for the floors of the upper levels. When they get chewed or soiled, it is easy and inexpensive to replace them.

Zip ties make dandy hinges for doors. Dollar Store carabiners serve as latches. This type of set-up is easy to take down and remodel. It likely cost less than the fancy two-level tiny wire-and-plastic commercial units.
Condo_4043.jpg

We have two NIC cube "apartments" and each one has a "balcony" like the one shown. The buns love them. We now use 13-inch wide strips of cardboard for the floors of the upper levels. When they get chewed or soiled, it is easy and inexpensive to replace them.

Zip ties make dandy hinges for doors. Dollar Store carabiners serve as latches. This type of set-up is easy to take down and remodel. It likely cost less than the fancy two-level tiny wire-and-plastic commercial units.
View attachment 57522
OH MY GOSH! i've never seen anything like this! Its HUMUNGUS! Bunny luxury... 😲 :eek:👍

Latest posts

Back