Two female rabbits not getting along

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toriebug

Reaction score
My husband and I rescued our first rabbit a little over a year ago, so I’m new to this whole bunny thing. She’s a sweet New Zealand bunny named Georgia. We got her spayed. And then about 6 months ago our friend was needing to find homes for some of his rabbits. So we decided to take one of the little female bunnies of his. Her name is Pollie and she’s a little lop. Georgia and Pollie seemed to really get along for the past 6 months. We moved like 3 times and it was nice for them to have eachother as company during the moves. All of the sudden Pollie has started relentlessly humping Georgia and will not leave her alone. It’s obvious that Georgia gets really anxious, she’s started to run away when Pollie gets near. They share an enclosure at night, and they free roam a little room in our house during the day. I’m really starting to get nervous for Georgia. I don’t like to see her anxious. I want to separate them but our house is extremely small and we don’t have room for them to have separate spaces. I’d love any advice that you guys might have. Do I need to re-home Pollie? Is there any hope that Pollie will stop?

I’ve had a similar experience as I owe two female bunnies as well. I have a New Zealand bunny named Autumn and a Dutch bunny named May. It took me forever to bond them and now it’s been at little over a year that they’ve been bonded. Autumn humps May when treats or food is involved this still happens to this day. May often gets angry but it’s important to break it up! I always give the treat first to the dominant bunny. Mounting in bonded bunnies is common, It’s helps to remind the other bunny who’s dominant! Do your bunnies lay with each other and groom each other?? If so this is a good sign! I also recommend cleaning the whole enclosure and room with white vinegar and water spray to get rid of their scent. Once their scent is gone I would do some rounds of bonding. From what you’re describing it could be because one bunny hasn’t established dominance yet. My bunnies where the SAME way when I first began bonding them. But most importantly make sure they’re both fixed and I would even see if you could move them permanently in the small room. I noticed with my bunnies when they’re in a smaller space they tend to hump each other more. My bunnies even recently gotten into a pretty big fight which left them stand-off ish of each other. They wouldn’t sleep next to each other or anything, I even thought they unbonded. I also live in a smaller house where I cant separate them. So, I decided to keep them together and see what would happen and a few day later they began laying next to each other and grooming each other again. I think it has to do with your gut feeling! If you think there’s a possibility of them being bonded and living a happy life together then I would definitely try! But if you can’t I would recommend maybe splitting the small room in half if they wont fight between the bars.

I’ve had a similar experience as I owe two female bunnies as well. I have a New Zealand bunny named Autumn and a Dutch bunny named May. It took me forever to bond them and now it’s been at little over a year that they’ve been bonded. Autumn humps May when treats or food is involved this still happens to this day. May often gets angry but it’s important to break it up! I always give the treat first to the dominant bunny. Mounting in bonded bunnies is common, It’s helps to remind the other bunny who’s dominant! Do your bunnies lay with each other and groom each other?? If so this is a good sign! I also recommend cleaning the whole enclosure and room with white vinegar and water spray to get rid of their scent. Once their scent is gone I would do some rounds of bonding. From what you’re describing it could be because one bunny hasn’t established dominance yet. My bunnies where the SAME way when I first began bonding them. But most importantly make sure they’re both fixed and I would even see if you could move them permanently in the small room. I noticed with my bunnies when they’re in a smaller space they tend to hump each other more. My bunnies even recently gotten into a pretty big fight which left them stand-off ish of each other. They wouldn’t sleep next to each other or anything, I even thought they unbonded. I also live in a smaller house where I cant separate them. So, I decided to keep them together and see what would happen and a few day later they began laying next to each other and grooming each other again. I think it has to do with your gut feeling! If you think there’s a possibility of them being bonded and living a happy life together then I would definitely try! But if you can’t I would recommend maybe splitting the small room in half if they wont fight between the bars.
Thank you for taking the time to respond! Unfortunately last night my husband was stopping Pollie from humping Georgia and noticed that Pollie is actually a male lol. We were shocked to say the least!! That explains a lot of what has been going on. We got Pollie so young and I guess we sexed him wrong haha, rookie mistake. Thank goodness Georgia is spayed otherwise we probably would have lots of baby bunnies running around too.

Latest posts

Back