Two female bunnies.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chisuna

Reaction score
Hi, I wondered if anyone had any advice.

We got two new female bunnies 2 weeks ago, from the same pen, so I didn't think we would have to slow bond them, was I wrong...
The first week went well, they were learning they're new surroundings (they have a 200, upstairs and downstairs but also have access to the whole room near enough!) Chi-Chis (Rex) hormones started kicking in after the first week, which Asuna (lionhead) didn't like so Chi-Chi got a few war wounds. We got nutracalm, that seemed to help a great deal (finally some sleep)! A few days later Asuna started but she is aggressive about it, digging her teeth in whilst doing it. But now, now Asuna is nipping and pulling fur out of Chi-Chi for no reason at all. I know this could due to hormones and asserting dominance. No they haven't been spayed yet, however that is booked in. On the other hand our Chi-Chi has bonded so well with us but the lionhead hasn't got quite there yet. I'm just confused as they can eat out of the same bowl, lie down next to each other, want to be with each other when separated (we now separate them majority of the day and together for a few hours in the evening to protect Chi-Chi, they can still see and sniff each other as divided the room in half) but why is Asuna doing this to Chi-Chi? Is it just dominance? We know she is going to the dominate one, however, Chi-Chi will always bow her head underneath Asunas chin, I thought it was being submissive but is that to show dominance? Chi-Chi then sometimes gets a nip when doing this. She gets nipped for not doing anything at all. Are we doing all that we can before they get spayed? Have I missed something? I'm tired as now I sleep in with them to make sure they haven't jumped across to each other. I'm also new to bunnies so I wanted to make sure I'm doing all we can.
Thank you, sorry if this is long. This is also them together tonight about 20minutes ago...Snapchat-817513557.jpg
Snapchat-529529386.jpg

I also cant tell whether they are play chasing or of Asuna is just going for her anymore?

Two hormonal female rabbits can do significant injury to each other when those disputes arise. There is nothing wrong with keeping them apart 24/7. It is actually the safer route to take. Normally one would keep them totally apart (separate enclosures) until after both have healed from spaying. There really isn't any benefit in trying to bond them now as that will all change when they come back from the vet smelling like another rabbit. The bonding starts at square one after they've healed.

What you don't want to risk is them getting into a serious fight in the meantime. And, yes, putting one's head down is what the dominant (or wanna be dominant) one will do as a demand for grooming. Looks like Asuna doesn't want to be told to groom since she sees herself as top bun. They'll have to sort out their hierarchy after their fixed.

Can you separate them until the spay and then a few weeks after as well? I would keep them separate 24/7 if I were you, play it safe. Unspayed does can be pretty territorial, and too much negative contact can make building a bond harder when you're ready.

It sounds like pretty typical hormonal behavior (hot then cold), but any kind of aggression can lead to injury, which is often a pretty big deal in bunnies. Separating may also give you an opportunity to build a relationship with Asuna away from another bunny that takes up her attention

As far as reading behavior and intentions, pinned ears, teeth forward, and tail up (pinned along the back) is a pretty sure sign of aggressive intent. Look up pics of bunny body language for examples.

Also, rabbit dominance doesn't appear like in dogs. A good bond often has no aggressive behavior or obvious hierarchy. When a rabbit puts their head below the other one it can often mean they are asking to be groomed, it's more a show of seeking companionship than hierarchy, although the refusal to groom is a message that the other rabbit does not yet agree with the hierarchy

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't tolerate what you described and would separate them now until they are spayed and about one month after that. It sounds they already having fights and if they will have a major one when you can't see or were not fast enough to stop it they can start hating each other and that they will remember for longer time it can make bonding very difficult after they are fixed and healed.

Maybe just put an extra panel between them so they can still flop near each other but can't go into each other's side. If you see they are trying to get each other through the bars it would be best to separate them completely so they can't see each other so they will forget each other during that one month and a bit, so you can introduce them as completely new buns but also you will have to do bonding/introduction in completely new to both territory.

What's going on right now is too risky imo

Thank you for all the advice. When they are separated they can still sniff and see each other, its basically a play pen we haven't yet put together but used the separate the room in two, so they cant get to each other. But we will stop with the few hours together. Would it be good to keep switching sides so they are around each others scent?

Thank you for all the advice. When they are separated they can still sniff and see each other, its basically a play pen we haven't yet put together but used the separate the room in two, so they cant get to each other. But we will stop with the few hours together. Would it be good to keep switching sides so they are around each others scent?
Honestly I wouldn't bother with switching before they are ready for bonding, simply no point in doing that. They are close enough for now and they just have to be fixed and healed, then take them to a foreign territory and after your bonding is stable enough it would be best just to clean everything with white vinegar to remove smells and reorganise their playpen so you should have best results, they just have big new territory and should be fine.

Latest posts

Back