Two bunnies…or not two bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35934

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of adopting a bunny friend for my 7mo old dwarf bunny, Bluebell.
She is going to be spayed next week, so l won’t look at doing this for a while yet as I want to gain some knowledge first.
I am thinking of a neutered male dwarf, so their sizes are similar, but does this matter?
What about their affection towards their bun mum, how would that be affected, as they would now have each other?
So does the time they want to spend with you change with paired rabbits.
Would I need to have dual litter boxes?
Any other considerations I need to address before embarking upon this journey?
Looking forward to reading the community’s thoughts on these questions.

I'm not an expert so take what I say with some salt, but from what I heard size doesn't matter. There are some Dwarfs that are best friends with Flemish and average sized bunnies but I'd try to find some more her size if I was you but it all depends on who she'd get along best with. I heard that Paris affection do change towards their human, sometimes a lot sometimes not so much but I usually hear it's for the better. As for duel litterboxes...well...I guess it kind of depends but I'd have 2 just to be safe since that's something bunnies can get territorial over. Something to consider is if Bluebell will get along with other rabbits in the first place, some buns like being only bunnies and another thing to consider is the bonding itself, what are you going to do to find a friend? Like are you just gonna adopt and hope for the best or take her to "bunny speed dating"? (That is if that's a thing where you are.) Another thing to consider is if you can take care of 2 bunnies. There's a lot to consider. Like I said, I'm no expert (I've only had rabbits for almost 5 years so I'm still new) but that being said I think it's a great idea for Bluebell to have a friend! And I hope I was able to help.

I have been toying with the idea of adopting a bunny friend for my 7mo old dwarf bunny, Bluebell.
She is going to be spayed next week, so l won’t look at doing this for a while yet as I want to gain some knowledge first.
I am thinking of a neutered male dwarf, so their sizes are similar, but does this matter?
What about their affection towards their bun mum, how would that be affected, as they would now have each other?
So does the time they want to spend with you change with paired rabbits.
Would I need to have dual litter boxes?
Any other considerations I need to address before embarking upon this journey?
Looking forward to reading the community’s thoughts on these questions.

I know mine aren't the typical pet rabbits, but anyway, rabbits normally aren't fixated on humans like dogs, or some cats. I keep all my 6 rabbits in pairs, they are social animals and very well know that we are not rabbits. for me a big part of the joy of having rabbits is watching them interact, imho it makes them whole. I'm still their human, not a fellow bunny, but they enjoy pets and come when called, they bring life into my house.
I prefer bigger rabbits, easier to confine and to avoid stepping on one, and for other reasons.

A male definitly is the most pronising option, I only have had intact ones paired with a neutered doe and can tell that you want a neutered one for an indoor bunny :D.
Size doesn't matter, It's all about character.

They use the same litter box. Best thing is to put the hay rack above the litter box.

Considerations...
If you plan to free roam them don't give them to much space at once, start small and increase gradually. Structure their space, with cardboard boxes as hidey houses (min. 2 openings), no dead ends, and places where they can get out of each others eyes if they feel like it.

Just to illustrate what I'm talking about :)

Attachments

• Schwarze und Rote.JPG
    Schwarze und Rote.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Gartenhaus.jpg
    Gartenhaus.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for sharing ideas with me.
I am going to assess how Bluebell reacts to her spaying, then make a decision about when to introduce her to a bunny friend.
I am eager to adopt from a rescue centre as we have one close to where we live in northern NSW.

Latest posts

Back