Turning 22 in a couple of weeks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
I know I always say if I knew then what I knew now.

Well lay those secretes on me. What are some stories where you messed up and could have done things differently. Or where you did things the hard way.

What did you do for your 22nd birthday even?

I am going to dave and Busters its like a adult chuckie if you have never heard of daves. Its real expensive and a bit of a drive for me. So I only go once a year on my birthday.

So what stories do you have what advice for this next year of life.

I would go back to school and get either a degree or some specialized training. When I was your age, having a degree didn't matter as much. Now my experience can get me a good job even though I don't have a degree. It's a different world now though and much tougher for people without advanced education.

I've been thinking about this ever since I saw it posted yesterday.

When I was 22 - Art & I were in our 4th year of marriage. I didn't drive...didn't work...mainly was a stay at home wife (I had worked before he joined the Air Force because I could walk to work).

Much of my life was wrapped up in him - TOO MUCH!

Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with being a stay at home wife - but I didn't do much as far as developing my own skills and interests - I had no goals of my own that I was working towards....well....other than losing weight while watching Richard Simmons on tv and trying to exercise with the show on.

If I had it to do over again - I'd try to develop my own goals - I would definitely get my own license and drive and I would either use the library to read and learn new things to build my knowledge base -or go back to school.

I'd make sure I already had something that made me happy....something that was for me.

I'd encourage you to find one thing you want to do this year for yourself - and do it. It might be saving pennies from the change to do a makeover someday.....or going to the library to read up on something that interests you - or getting involved with other women in your area and being part of a reading club or quilting club or something like that.

I hope you have a great birthday!

Its wise of you to want to work and improve your life.

Don't be in a hurry. Enjoy every single day...because before you know it you're where I am. You're staring 40 in the face and going "What happened to my 20's and 30's" And I'm sure everyone here will just about agree with me on that one. Blink too quick and you've missed out on some great things. So make the most of everyday and everything you do.

im 41 and i luv it!!!..im one of the few who dont have a problem getting older..i like me more and more every year..thats my advice...find out who you are ..and like that person...faults and all.

Have a Happy Birthday !!

almost forgot 22nd birthday i had a party at a friends house ,,she was moving out and shut the electric off so i got a generator..to run the band ya know..well i didnt realize that the generator had an exhaust that wasnt healthy to breath and i had it running inside the house....so we had to evacuate the house for about an hour and then i couldnt get the generator to work again ..sooo the band ended up being a one man drummer playing all night ..since he didnt need an amp to play ..and we got candles for lighting ..yea prob about 75 people drinking jungle juice made with everclear ,,carrying candles around..did i mention drunk...yea fire and drunks are no good together....i smelled burned hair all night long..hehe........i dont remember much after that.........good times good times.

nermal71 wrote:
Don't be in a hurry. Enjoy every single day...because before you know it you're where I am. You're staring 40 in the face and going "What happened to my 20's and 30's" And I'm sure everyone here will just about agree with me on that one. Blink too quick and you've missed out on some great things. So make the most of everyday and everything you do.
I'd LOVE to stare 40 in the face again .... I turned 50 this year.

This is awesome advice though....I remember thinking about my life a day or two before turning 40 (hard to do much else while driving down the AlCan highway) and asking myself what I wanted out of life.

I had no idea what I wanted.

Now that I'm fifty - I'm finally where I want to be in life...let's hope it doesn't take you that long!!!

LOL Tinysmom. I turn 40 in January. And it just dawned on me the other day that it seemed like 20's and 30's were gone in a blink. I did alot of fun stuff....I watched my kids grow up (they are now 19, 18 and 16) and yet there was so much I still could have done. It seems like we're in such a rush that we make things go by too fast. I love who I am....I love how my sons have turned out (the oldest is at DeVry going for his CET degree, the 18y/o is going to go in the Navy and the 16y/o wants to be a writer...he's written 7 novels so far). And yet there were times when I was in such a hurry to get them bathed, get them fed, get them into bed....hurry up and get this or that done....I should have gone a bit slower and enjoyed those small moments a bit more. Guess I am gonna have to spoil the future grandkids rotten LOL

Wow, good advice everyone! Im turning 22 as well, just not until April, so got some time to plan it out :p Same thing though, feels like yesterday I was turning 18, even 15 doesn't feel like that long ago!

I with you Sammi it seems like sweet 16 was yesterday. I am going to take everyone's advice and run with it well I should say walk with it.

I know my twin nieces seem like they turns one when I blinked a year has gone by so fast. I hope to become a nurse in the NICU in the next five years and become a mom in a couple of years.

Lets hope I can look into my past and say I listened to everyone.

Thanks guys and girls!!!

You know, I don't remember what I did for it. Probably sat home. This is sad because it was just 2 and a half years ago. I just remember I was basically done with college a week later.

Well... your already married.. so that lil piece of advice is already shot to ****.If you weren't, I would say wait..

But your happy, so that's the good part.

Having kids is a double edged sword. So many of the current team have elected to not even have kids, and to an extent, I envy them. My life would have been different, and more carefree, and I definitely would have had more money through the years. But I wouldn't trade my kids for anything. I do think I had mine at the right time..young, because now, at 38, I have a 17 and a 12 year old, and I do have a pretty carefree life, not like other women my age with 8 and under..

Find something you love.

You've seen Whip It. Remember when Iron Maven tells Babe Ruthless "you know how old I am?... 36...you know how old I was when I started skating? 31..cause it took me that long to find something I was really good at."

I was 36.

Now by no means do I suggest you put on skates and go start slamming ladies heads into the ground and throwing them over the rail, but what I do mean is, find your tribe. Find your obsession. Find your heart. Don't worry about how stupid you look, or what other people think about how you you look or why your doing it. Like I tell the newbs when I do their orientation. "Don't worry about lookin stupid. Nobody cares about what your doin, they are too busy worry about themselves, and if they aint, then they aint doin what they should be doin..which is skatin" And people who criticize are usually jealous, and people who question, usually wanna do it themselves, but don't have the cajones, and everybody..I promise you, everybody, has some weird crap they do, that they absolutely love, that they don't tell people about, for fear of reproach.

So in short..make yourself happy.

Also.. which this goes part in parcel with making yourself happy.

This world is too full of stuff that has a purpose. To full of necessary stuff..you want a big floofy pirate hat. Make yourself one. Steampunk gun. Make one. Stupid paintings that match nothing in your house but you like it. Buy it.

Nonsense is good. Just don't let it take over your life.

Education is important to an extent..I know lots of people with high dollar educations, including myself. None of us use what we are degreed in.

Take computer classes, be proficient in certain softwares. Be bilingual in Spanish, that's important these days. If you at LEAST have these two under your belt, more people are willing to train you.

Always answer the phone with a smile on your face. It resonates on the phone..

Take pride in your appearance. Stand up straight. Comb your hair, lil lipgloss and some mascara makes you look finished.

I learned this just in the last few weeks. Skin care. Do whats appropriate for your age. Spend the $35 and get a good steam detox facial, ask questions..get the cheap end wal mart stuff, and keep up the regimen. I don't look tired anymore, my pores are smaller, my skins not broken out anymore. I look like im 30, not nearly 40.

If you like it.. wear it...

If it makes you feel good.. wear it.

Don't cuss in public. It looks trashy.

Treat people who wait on you with respect..

I think that's about it..well.. the things that have served me well anyway..

Oh.. don't accidentally hang up on your friends while shopping in Forever 21..lol..SORRY KAT!

GoinBackToCali wrote:
Find something you love.

So in short..make yourself happy.

Take pride in your appearance. Stand up straight. Comb your hair, lil lipgloss and some mascara makes you look finished.

If it makes you feel good.. wear it.

Don't cuss in public. It looks trashy.

Treat people who wait on you with respect..

actually i agree with the whole post!! personally i had to leave school at 16 and work. i spent my 20s trying to have kids and my 30s raising them. im 44 now and they are 15 and 17. suddenly im having more time for me....total novelty and im going to make the most of it. my only regret is giving in and leaving school and not getting the degree i so wanted. i would have had a career to return to now.

that said other opportunities have presented themselves and im going for it1

happy birthday and good luck:biggrin:

What Zin said is very true.

I also want to add don't live your life trying to please other people. 22 is about the age I stopped doing that. Leading up to my wedding I started to stand tall. To respect myself more. Don't get me wrong I still fall into old paterns but I try not to.

Also don't regret your choices. I know it is easy to look back and say I wish I did this but at that point in time you did what was right than. What is right now doesn't mean it was right than.

Life is always changing it may never be exactly what we want but it is worth the hard times if it means we can enjoy the good.

Flash Gordon wrote:
im 41 and i luv it!!!..im one of the few who dont have a problem getting older..i like me more and more every year..thats my advice...find out who you are ..and like that person...faults and all.

Have a Happy Birthday !!

I'm 42, and don't have any problem with aging, either. I wholeheartedly agree, and it's funny your username is Flash Gordon, and my real name is Gordon. :)

As far as advice, I would say I agree with most of what has already been said.

Hope you had fun at Dave & Busters, and Happy Birthday! :)

I wanted to again say thank you to everyone. And I already took one piece of advice I am on my way to getting my driver license and am getting my own car I get the keys tomorrow.

well getting pregnant at 18 was the best thing in my life. i wouldnt change that....

but i wouldnt start smokin again after i had my daughter.
i would have worked less, spent more time with her when she was a baby.

heres a big one...i would have not spent my savings on stupid stuff wheni moved out on my own.

i would have drank less...now im 21 and its just pointless. lol

i would have eaten better. taken my vitamins more. (now have arthritis and slight carpoltunnel)

would have been smarter about the guys i dated!!!

I'm not the age of most on here, but in a way I'm the opposite. I don't have kids, and I'm happy for that. My boyfriend and I have thought about it that we're missing out, but when I look at him, he's missed out soo much. He's lived in one town his whole life, and yeah he's got quite a bit of money he's missing out on the world.

I'm 24, and have had the chance to work and live in different areas of the U.S. I am so proud of that, and I hope to continue doing that. Theres SOOOO much to see, and while I honestly do feel at this point I am kind of missing out on the kids aspect, I have a life and soo much to see and do and much prefer that. I like that I can drop everything and move out of state for a few months and get to experience that culture.

What I'm saying is I'm glad theres so many women on here who have kids as their life, but before settleing for just that, there is wayyyy too much out there to miss. So have fun before you do it if thats what you choose.

I don't regret anything, and wouldn't change anything. I choose what I did for a reason, and while sometimes I wish I would have worked harder or got a higher degree, everything led up to where I am now, and I wouldn't change any of that for the world.

Latest posts

Back