Tunnels and hides

Discussion in 'Housing and Environment' started by billythebun, Nov 6, 2018.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Dec 6, 2018 #21

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Pictures please!! sounds super :)

2. Dec 6, 2018 #22

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

I looked up Ikea kaninho after seeing your post and the photos look great. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find this on the Ikea site anywhere. I even looked on Acacia wood. If you have a link that works in the U.S., please share. It looks like a great option!

3. Dec 6, 2018 #23

samoth

samoth

samoth

Unfortunately, the Hol line isn't sold in the US (it's on Ikea's UK and other European sites).

I ordered my last two from a UK seller on Ebay. My order was ~$50 for a small Hol and $90 for a large Hol, which is a pretty good price. Overseas shipping is the killer -- but the last seller I bought from was able to charge less by using Ebay's global shipping program (which was only $30 for both) and set up a custom listing for me. I just sent them a message asking what they could do for shipping costs to the US.

It looks like the seller I used is away until mid-January, but there's a custom listing for two large Hol here (you have to select HOL Table Large) for ~$200 with shipping. You could probably contact them and ask for just one, but shipping's the same whether it's one or two.

Hols are pretty expensive, but they look nice and rabbits really love them. Just note the bottom is a piece of plywood, which I learned doesn't clean well if it gets urine on it. Some newspapers on the bottom can help there if you have a rabbit who doesn't always perfect litter habbits.

Attached Files:

4. Dec 6, 2018 #24

Orrin

Orrin

Orrin

Florist shops discard long and narrow boxes ideal for tunnels. You bunnies will love them.

I take the precaution of peeling off all plastic and glass fiber reinforced paper tape. It doesn't take much effort and it will keep undigestibles out of your bunnie's tummy. If the box falls apart after the tape is removed, fasten it back together with white glue.

With a little imagination boxes can be fastened together to create "L" or "T" shapes. That will add to the rabbit's sense of adventure. Besides that, they'll use them as hidey holes whenever they are spooked by strange noises, or whatever. They love the sense of security a hidey hole gives them.

5. Dec 6, 2018 #25

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

Also, carpet comes wrapped on cardboard tubes.

6. Dec 7, 2018 #26

ChloeBunny

ChloeBunny

ChloeBunny

Thank you, Orrin and Nancy! I've been looking for great ideas like this for my bun!

7. Dec 8, 2018 #27

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Thanks for the info. Wouldn’t it be nice if IKEA offered the same items everywhere?! I hadn’t thought to check on eBay. Thanks for the info. I may see what I can find premade but would also consider building something. So far I haven’t found free plans for rabbit castles. Lol! Guess I will see what I can find for cats

8. Dec 18, 2018 #28

Björnmor

Björnmor

Björnmor

I have a Flemish giant so yes, way too small.
    He dont care too much about the esthetics so i took what I had and he has fun.

Attached Files:

Blue eyes likes this.
  9. Dec 19, 2018 #29

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

You can get tubes online that are for kids to crawl through. I just picked up one from Amazon that's 6 feet long and large enough for small people to get through so your bunny would have no problem for sure. Rocky is a little over 3lbs and this thing dwarfs him! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GLCWFOE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

10. Dec 19, 2018 #30

Björnmor

Björnmor

Björnmor

Thank you :) but they are too big (take too much space for my flat). Problem is too find something that's just big enough, it seems to be a in between size.
    Would be cool if there was something like the hard plastic tunnelsystems for hamsters..

11. Dec 19, 2018 #31

Alyssa and Bugs♡

Alyssa and Bugs♡

Alyssa and Bugs♡

Do you have any circular laundry hampers? I will attempt to find an image of some types of tunnels you may be able to find.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]This tunnel (along with the one above) are found on Amazon, but they can be found inside of pet stores. This one is sold for cats.
    [​IMG] This one is made from a laundry hamper.

Can any other members share where they got their tunnels? I found mine at a thrift store.

Blue eyes likes this.
  12. Dec 19, 2018 #32

Björnmor

Björnmor

Björnmor

Laundry hampers comes in so many different sizes, that's a fantastic idea!

Popsicles likes this.
  13. Dec 20, 2018 #33

Kelly6485

Kelly6485

Kelly6485

Sonotubes!

Sonotubes are thick cardboard tubes, 5 foot length, that are used to pour cement columns, they can be found at any hardware store for under 5 dollars. They come in a wide variety of diameters, to fit your bunny size :) I have several of them, middle of the floor play, and also behind my couch to give them an alternative to going UNDER the couch!

14. Dec 21, 2018 #34

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

I go to carpet stores and ask if I can raid their dumpster for the cardboard tubes-- they usually have some in the store and are happy to give them away.

15. Dec 21, 2018 #35

Liung

Liung

Liung

725C018E-1910-4ADB-8B02-7E4074A16D8D.jpeg 723440A0-97EA-44CA-AE1A-B3CB2C7F65CC.jpeg
    I got some sonotubes initially to protect the inner holes in the cabinet condo I was building and I was displeased to find that the inside of the tube seemed to have a waxy coating to it. Delilah immediately started ripping the cardboard to shreds and eating the pieces, so that made me pretty worried.

Them gnawing on the wood of the condo isn’t much better since it’s full of glue, but they’re much less interested in chewing it.

Björnmor likes this.
  16. Dec 21, 2018 #36

Kristy A Williams

Kristy A Williams

Kristy A Williams

I use cat tunnels and woven grass huts and found a slipper shape that fits my giant german

17. Dec 22, 2018 #37

Kathie Bader

Kathie Bader

Kathie Bader

Buy a cat tunnel my buns love it.

18. Dec 30, 2018 #38

lavendertealatte

lavendertealatte

lavendertealatte

mine are all cardboard.. I guess I order a lot of stuff off of Amazon... copy paper boxes work too

19. Jan 1, 2019 #39

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

This is what I was going to suggest. Sonotubes is a brand name; the generic term is just "concrete forms." I dunno about the UK, but they're readily available at big box hardware stores in the US. For example, Home Depot carries 8'' x 48'' and 12'' x 48'' versions. I can't imagine a rabbit so big the 12'' diameter wouldn't accommodate them! They're really thick cardboard, too, so it takes quite a while to chew them up.