Tunnels and hides

Discussion in 'Housing and Environment' started by billythebun, Nov 6, 2018.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Dec 6, 2018 #21

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Pictures please!! sounds super :)

2. Dec 6, 2018 #22

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

I looked up Ikea kaninho after seeing your post and the photos look great. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find this on the Ikea site anywhere. I even looked on Acacia wood. If you have a link that works in the U.S., please share. It looks like a great option!

3. Dec 6, 2018 #23

samoth

samoth

samoth

Unfortunately, the Hol line isn't sold in the US (it's on Ikea's UK and other European sites).

I ordered my last two from a UK seller on Ebay. My order was ~$50 for a small Hol and $90 for a large Hol, which is a pretty good price. Overseas shipping is the killer -- but the last seller I bought from was able to charge less by using Ebay's global shipping program (which was only $30 for both) and set up a custom listing for me. I just sent them a message asking what they could do for shipping costs to the US.

It looks like the seller I used is away until mid-January, but there's a custom listing for two large Hol here (you have to select HOL Table Large) for ~$200 with shipping. You could probably contact them and ask for just one, but shipping's the same whether it's one or two.

Hols are pretty expensive, but they look nice and rabbits really love them. Just note the bottom is a piece of plywood, which I learned doesn't clean well if it gets urine on it. Some newspapers on the bottom can help there if you have a rabbit who doesn't always perfect litter habbits.

Attached Files:

4. Dec 6, 2018 #24

Orrin

Orrin

Orrin

Florist shops discard long and narrow boxes ideal for tunnels. You bunnies will love them.

I take the precaution of peeling off all plastic and glass fiber reinforced paper tape. It doesn't take much effort and it will keep undigestibles out of your bunnie's tummy. If the box falls apart after the tape is removed, fasten it back together with white glue.

With a little imagination boxes can be fastened together to create "L" or "T" shapes. That will add to the rabbit's sense of adventure. Besides that, they'll use them as hidey holes whenever they are spooked by strange noises, or whatever. They love the sense of security a hidey hole gives them.

5. Dec 6, 2018 #25

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

Also, carpet comes wrapped on cardboard tubes.

6. Dec 7, 2018 #26

ChloeBunny

ChloeBunny

ChloeBunny

Thank you, Orrin and Nancy! I've been looking for great ideas like this for my bun!

7. Dec 8, 2018 at 12:02 AM #27

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Thanks for the info. Wouldn’t it be nice if IKEA offered the same items everywhere?! I hadn’t thought to check on eBay. Thanks for the info. I may see what I can find premade but would also consider building something. So far I haven’t found free plans for rabbit castles. Lol! Guess I will see what I can find for cats