Tumor between ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WUBnTHUMP

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here! I just got back from my Vet with my 3 yr old neutered male satin angora cross. She said he has a tumor. It's about the size of a dime between his ears. She said it look pretty benign but I'm not sure what that means? Has anyone encountered anything like this? I'm not sure if she was just trying to keep me from panicking! We scheduled surgery for Jan 7th. I'm so Worried!!!

Benign just means non-cancerous. Benign tumors don't generally need to be removed unless they are causing discomfort or changing behavior. Some animals are just lumpy. I wouldn't panic, I've seen a ton of benign tumors and they are normally nothing to worry about. If you are very worried you could have it biopsied, when it is removed or do the biopsy instead of removal (this can probably be done without being anesthetized and therefore at a reduced risk to your rabbit and reduced cost to you). I highly doubt your vet would say it is benign if she wasn't reasonably certain. Is the tumor causing any discomfort?

Benign just means non-cancerous. Benign tumors don't generally need to be removed unless they are causing discomfort or changing behavior. Some animals are just lumpy. I wouldn't panic, I've seen a ton of benign tumors and they are normally nothing to worry about. If you are very worried you could have it biopsied, when it is removed or do the biopsy instead of removal (this can probably be done without being anesthetized and therefore at a reduced risk to your rabbit and reduced cost to you). I highly doubt your vet would say it is benign if she wasn't reasonably certain. Is the tumor causing any discomfort?
I do understand benign in non cancerous, however, she said she wasn't certain. She just said it has to be removed. The fact that she didn't suggest a biopsy as the first course of action worried me. When I asked her that question, she said it has to come off regardless and it can be biopsies after. I did some research about cancerous tumors on rabbits and the photos I saw, looked just like Thumps. He isn't in any pain, thank god!

Latest posts

Back