Trying to put weight back on...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinfoilxtouch

Reaction score
Long story short, my Netherland was injured in afight some while back and her road to recovery has been slow. She'sfinally nearing health again, but she really needs to put weight backon. I'm trying to feed fresh apples and carrots every day, along withdried mango (really high in calories).

My question is simple... I know high-moisture items like lettuce cancause digestive problems. Could this also happen if I give her too manyother fresh items, like apples or carrots? She'll eat nearly a wholeapple a day (cut into slices) if I let her. I know she'll put weightonquickly that way, but could it actually hurt her health?

High moisture isn't a problem for most rabbitsas long as they're also getting lots of hay, but high sugar can causediarrhea problems. Cut down on the fruit to just a smallpiece a day and don't give more than a baby carrot or so per day unlessshe's big. You can add a teaspoon or so of rolled oats (OldFashioned Quaker) or a little Nutri-cal would be a good ideatoo.

But you don't want her too gain weight too quickly because it will onlybe fat. Since she had mobility problems she probably lost alot of muscle weight which will build back up as she's able to exercisemore.

Over-feeding is the #1 mistake made by rabbitowners. An overweight rabbit is prone to health problems,just as an overweight human would be.

Pam

Our MooShu recently injured herself and dropped some weight due to her lack of activity and reduced appetite.

I adjusted her pellets to provide higher fat and protein. I switchedout her timothy cubes for alfalfa ones. And I upped her daily rolledoats to 1/2 teaspoon. She's not big on greens, fruits, or veggies. Shedoes like dried papaya and got some extra to help with the extrashedding she experienced.

Within a couple of weeks she gradually put on some "healthy" weight and her generalappearance has greatly improved.

~Jim

Nutri-cal ! :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Some oats, alfalfa, hay,pumpkin and some bananas.Moderation is key, don'tgo over board, and Iwould cut back on thesugars (apples and carrots).

For those people in Edmonton,I found Nutri-calfor $10.95 :elephant:

Rainbows! :)

Latest posts

Back