Trying to introduce greens to my six month old bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MybunnyMilo

Reaction score
So my bunny, Milo, isn’t even touching his romaine lettuce. His sister tried it the first time I gave it to her, it took like a few hours but she ate it. It’s been like 4 days with Milo, I just leave it in his cage hoping he will get curious and take a nibble, but he won’t!

Perhaps try something different, just starting in small amounts. My girly likes a little git of lettuce for example, but hates cabbage!
Kale is on my bun likes. It's best to try a small amount of a few different greens.
Herbs are also popular in our house! 😁

Yes, try different fresh herbs. Basil, Mint, Parsley, Rosemary.
They might help give your Bun a good start to greens, as they are very aromatic and inviting

The first time I gave my Bun Fresh Basil and Mint, she just sniffed it and tossed it around, and licked it. After that one time, she now has become a fan of Basil and Mint and gobbles it up as soon as I offer it to her.

So definitely try a fresh herb.

Lettuce isn't much of a "green" anyway, he doesn't miss much there.

I reckon you live in a city with no access to fresh grass and weeds? Which would be my first choice regarding green bunny food.

Lettuce isn't much of a "green" anyway, he doesn't miss much there.

I reckon you live in a city with no access to fresh grass and weeds? Which would be my first choice regarding green bunny food.
Well, the location is actually wrong on my profile, we are in Maine now. So yes, we have access to lots of grass and weeds, we have a garden too we can grow in. I was reading for a rabbit salad they do like a cup of romaine and maybe some dill or parsley, or some other herb. But he still won’t eat lettuce! Maybe baby lettuce or some sort of other lettuce

It doesn't have to be lettuce. There are many choices. Whatever you choose, be sure to only offer one type at a time. That way you will know if one particular type may upset his digestion. (If you offer more than one type and he reacts negatively -like mushy poos- you won't know which one is the culprit. )

Each rabbit will be different in their likes & in their level of boldness in trying new foods.

Herbs are a great option. Mint can be grown prolifically & is near impossible to kill. Check the following link for more ideas & tips.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

So my bunny, Milo, isn’t even touching his romaine lettuce. His sister tried it the first time I gave it to her, it took like a few hours but she ate it. It’s been like 4 days with Milo, I just leave it in his cage hoping he will get curious and take a nibble, but he won’t!
I have two rabbits and one devours romaine but the other won't touch it. They've been that way for 8-9 years now. It's the same with other varieties of lettuce. Don't fret, just be willing to experiment by providing different kinds of produce. Soon, you will no doubt develop a clear understanding of each rabbit's preferences.

I have two rabbits and one devours romaine but the other won't touch it. They've been that way for 8-9 years now. It's the same with other varieties of lettuce. Don't fret, just be willing to experiment by providing different kinds of produce. Soon, you will no doubt develop a clear understanding of each rabbit's preferences.
What do you do for a salad for the rabbit that hates lettuce?

What do you do for a salad for the rabbit that hates lettuce?
She is much more picky in general than my other rabbit. She will eat dandelion greens, although it's hardly a favorite of hers. I've found it to be a challenge in the past to provide enough greens low in oxylates, but the listing at the House Rabbit Society is ever-changing, as they seem to move food items between the low and high-oxalate lists constantly. I've also utilized watercress and now see that kale is listed as low! Also use bok choy, broccoli, brussels sprouts, italian parsley, rapini and cabbage. I'll probably try out yu choy (morning-glory leaves and stalks) soon. My understanding is that parsnips are poisonous to rabbits, so please beware there. Turnip, mustard and collard greens are also possible salad items.

She is much more picky in general than my other rabbit. She will eat dandelion greens, although it's hardly a favorite of hers. I've found it to be a challenge in the past to provide enough greens low in oxylates, but the listing at the House Rabbit Society is ever-changing, as they seem to move food items between the low and high-oxalate lists constantly. I've also utilized watercress and now see that kale is listed as low! Also use bok choy, broccoli, brussels sprouts, italian parsley, rapini and cabbage. I'll probably try out yu choy (morning-glory leaves and stalks) soon. My understanding is that parsnips are poisonous to rabbits, so please beware there. Turnip, mustard and collard greens are also possible salad items.
Okay. I’ll check the house rabbit society, but I read that things like broccoli and kale are really gassy and it said to have two table spoons of things like that? I don’t know if it’s true but that’s what I read. I’m going to try to get him to have another kind of lettuce and see if he eats it.

If you actually click on the link I provided earlier, you will see a list of acceptable greens (one list that is appropriate for daily offerings and another list for those that should not be offered every day).

If your location is accurate, it would not be recommended to offer grass from outside. RHVD2 has been active in our area.

Last edited:
If you actually click on the link I provided earlier, you will see a list of acceptable greens (one list that is appropriate for daily offerings and another list for those that should not be offered every day).

If your location is accurate, it would not be recommended to offer grass from outside. RHVD2 has been active in our
No, my location is wrong hah. We’re in Maine.

I still got to check out that link! Thank you 😊

Ugh. He won’t eat any red or green leaf lettuce, or romaine! Can he have a salad with no lettuce? What would I do instead of lettuce?

He absolutely can have salad with no lettuce! Greens are of course a part of a rabbit's diet, but hay should be absolutely the main priority, so don't worry too much about offering loads of greens.

Spring greens would be an option, but there's more choice on the link @Blue eyes has posted 👍

He absolutely can have salad with no lettuce! Greens are of course a part of a rabbit's diet, but hay should be absolutely the main priority, so don't worry too much about offering loads of greens.

Spring greens would be an option, but there's more choice on the link @Blue eyes has posted 👍
Okay, thanks! At that website it says things like dandelion greens, we have LOTS of that. Can I feed the same amount as I would lettuce?

I don't think there should be an issue with feeding a reasonable amount of dandelion greens!

Okay, thanks! At that website it says things like dandelion greens, we have LOTS of that. Can I feed the same amount as I would lettuce?
Just remember that any new greens (like dandelions) need to be introduced slowly. Offer just a small amount to start out. As their gut gets used to the new food, the amount can be gradually increased. (Detailed instructions at linked site.)

Latest posts

Back