Trying to Bond With New Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanbunny

Reaction score
Hi buns/bun parents! This is my new bun CloverRex! I have had him in my life a year now, and though I love him so very much, he doesnt seem to like me! He's always afraid I'm going to pick him up. Sometimes I have to, to do his nails and pluck shedding fur from places on his little bottie that he grooms. I lay in the floor and talk to him, give him head pets and treats. But he's always wary of me. No one knows what his background was like, just that a girl had him for an emotional support animal, but he made her nervous and I guess she made HIM nervous. Then he was a foster for a while, then he came to me. He doesnt like to jump up on things or step on the hard floor AT ALL. Am I just hoping for too much too soon? He grooms his bed and his stuffies religiously, but not me, lol!20200823_223735.jpg

Sorry that no-one has replied here. All I can think of is that some rabbits need more time than others. Keep doing what you're doing to make him feel safe and loved, respect his territory, show him you are safe and trustworthy by sitting down with him at his level. Allow him to sniff you without petting him. I did all of this with a rabbit who took 2 years to trust me. Totally worth it. All the best!

I offer a treat and lure them onto my lap to get them more comfortable being on me. The boy can sit on me for abit while eating and will tolerate some lap petting.

My boy is so twitchy when I try to pluck/touch him in general, the only time I can pluck him is when he is eating his pellets.

My buns also plays hot lava with the floors, I lay some towels/fleece around so they can get around. They would parkour to the next fleece if there's a hardwood gap

He is very cute. Try to spend some time with him regularly. But do not try to do anything just sit near him. Spend time with him and eventually, he will start licking your hand or start interacting with you. I hope you know what I mean :)

Thank you, friends!!! I know what you mean anoopnain! I had a friend who's bunny took 5 years to start showing affection for her. However long it takes I will be there for Clover and keep giving him the best! My first bun, Boo, has been gone a year and I guess I just miss the kisses and groomings he gave me all the time.

It's very easy to offer simple solutions to difficult problems- so i won't try to! What everyone has said makes sense,and I would only add that sometimes you can try too hard without realising it and put them off rather than bring them to you,rather like someone desperately trying to be friendly and going way over the top and deterring people.A soft voice,slow movements and occssional bribery with food are all good,and if you can manage to let him allow you to stroke his head,fondle his ears between your thumb and fingers very gently,I've found that this often produces a 'licky' frenzy and gets them in the mood to share one with you.Good luck and keep at it!

It's very easy to offer simple solutions to difficult problems- so i won't try to! What everyone has said makes sense,and I would only add that sometimes you can try too hard without realising it and put them off rather than bring them to you,rather like someone desperately trying to be friendly and going way over the top and deterring people.A soft voice,slow movements and occssional bribery with food are all good,and if you can manage to let him allow you to stroke his head,fondle his ears between your thumb and fingers very gently,I've found that this often produces a 'licky' frenzy and gets them in the mood to share one with you.Good luck and keep at it!
Oh I definitely wont give up! But I will try not to push! He lets me pet his head, and he loves back rubs! He will groom everything around me but not me. But I will be patient. I lay on the floor near him with my laptop and he will come over to sniff and bunvestigate. But I wont push. I just miss those bunny kisses!

Latest posts

Back