Troublesome Litter Trainee :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lupita.n.co

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm a new bunny mom, and I am having a lot of trouble litter training my rabbit! I adopted a very sweet adult bunny just over a month ago, since then I've had to move her around a little but now she has a permanent home base until we are ready to free roam. At first, I felt she was doing really well with keeping her mess (or at least all the pee) in her litter box, but these past 2 weeks things just deteriorated. At this point her entire exercise pen has become fair game in her eyes, and I'm not sure how to get back on track. I've been furiously wiping up puddles and picking up dropping and putting them in her litter, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I've restricted her to the playpen for a week, but we haven't made any progress.

Any and All Advice welcome!

Is she spayed and what is her set up like? A picture might help. Any particular area she's leaving the puddles? Any signs of pasty or thick creamy urine, dark brown urine, urine with spots of blood in it, dribbling urine, straining to urinate, or a urine soaked bottom?

How long ago did you make the changes to her area? Any other changes in the household or environment?

My young doe was faithfully using her litter box until one day she just wasn't. So I washed all of the blankets that I had in her play pen to remove her pee smell and I put a second litter box filled with only fresh hay inside her play pen and as suddenly as she stopped using her old litter box, she started using the new one. Maybe I just got lucky but after ruling out health/hormonal related causes you could try this too?

She is spayed. Most of the puddles are about a foot in front of the litter box, but she also goes on the jute mats. I haven't noticed anything unusual about the urine itself, though I will definitely keep an eye out. Sometimes she will just let out a few drops when she's running around, should I be worried? She has been in this room for about 3 weeks, but I changed the set up of the pen a week and a half ago.

Latest posts

Back