Trouble flying with your bunnies?! No more Delta Airlines!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellapsyd

Reaction score
outside of Chicago- for now, Illinois, USA
Delta Airlines has reversed their decision to allow bunnies in the cabin! From what I can tell, that means NO major US airlines will anymore! (but dogs, cats, birds, even snakes are ok). I'm worried b/c I am planning on moving and REFUSE to put my bunnies in as cargo! Here is the link to write them a quick response asking them to reconsider! http://www.delta.com/emailus/servlet/EmailUs?cmd=go

:grumpy:

Here is the note I left. Feel free touse some or allit if you are having trouble expressing yourself!

While checking on flight information, I came to believe my rabbit is no longer welcome on board as carry on luggage, however, cats and dogs will still be allowed. For me, this eliminates Delta as a choice of an airline. I don't understand how a rabbit would be more disruptive than a cat or dog. I hope you will reconsider this policy.
Thank you

here is what I wrote:

I am going to be moving to another state and have already chosen Delta Airlines as my method of transportation. I chose you, not only for the great service you provide, but SPECIFICALLY because you allow my harmless, quiet rabbits in the cabin onboard WITH me (not stowed as luggage!). It has recently come to my attention that you have reversed this policy- but only for rabbits. Dogs, Cats, and guinea pigs/hamsters are still allowed. Unfortunately, if this is true, I will also be changing my plans and finding another airlines. Please explain to me your reasoning regarding this change specifically for rabbits as opposed to any other animals? As you know, rabbits carry no diseases and make no noise. I appreciate your timely response as I need to decide my plans quickly.

-Cxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx, Psy.D.

Morgan flew from Texas to Arizona in cargo. He did just fine and wasn't really phased by it at all. You should reconsider your decision about flying your bunny cargo....it's really not that bad....many bunnies fly cargo and come out just fine.

When we went to pick him up at the out-building, he hitched a ride in from off the plane in a temperature controlled vehicle. They do not let the animal sit around anywhere....as soon the plane lands...the animal gets taken off to meet up with it's owner.

Also, with flying cargo, you will need to check to see the times of year when this is allowed. Most carriers will not allow the buns to be flow when it is above or below certain degrees.

Oh, ETA: You will only be allowed one rabbit in cabin with you. I also flew from Texas to Arizona with Marlin in cabin...and it was $95 and I was only allowed one bunny on the plane with me because he needed to be stored under the seat in front of me.

I flew Southwest with Marlin and Morgan flew Frontier.

I just sent a quick note:

When planning my flight for Spring Break, I just realized that rabbits are no longer allowed to travel in the cabin. My rabbits are allergy-free, beloved housepets. They are littertrained just like cats- and they are quieter than both dogs AND cats.
Why aren't rabbits allowed to travel in the cabin anymore? A rabbit could suffer a heart-attack from the stress of being loaded as cargo.

AHHHH!!! Oh no! I need to fly home with Bailey for winter break... I have already made reservations with Delta. This is NOT good.... Anybody know of any other airlines tht allow rabbits to be flown in cabin???

ps I also sent them a note...

That is just awful! I would not fly with them until they reversed their policy back to normal, and I will not be recommending that airline to anyone for as long as their policy is reversed!

I also left a note, too.

Emily

undergunfire wrote:
Morgan flew from Texas to Arizona in cargo. He did just fine and wasn't really phased by it at all. You should reconsider your decision about flying your bunny cargo....it's really not that bad....many bunnies fly cargo and come out just fine.

When we went to pick him up at the out-building, he hitched a ride in from off the plane in a temperature controlled vehicle. They do not let the animal sit around anywhere....as soon the plane lands...the animal gets taken off to meet up with it's owner.
That doesn't always happen though. Sometime there are those workers that are careless or forget or whatever.

waterlilly0212 wrote:
AHHHH!!! Oh no! I need to fly home with Bailey for winter break... I have already made reservations with Delta. This is NOT good.... Anybody know of any other airlines tht allow rabbits to be flown in cabin???

ps I also sent them a note...
I am wondering if because you already made reservations they will let you still have Bailey in the cabin with you?

BSAR wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

That doesn't always happen though. Sometime there are those workers that are careless or forget or whatever.

Trust me, flying a rabbit as cargo doesn't mean a death sentence or a mistreated rabbit. I am sure millions of rabbits fly cargo each year.

Hopefully others will chime in who flew bunnies as cargo. They do very well and there is nothing to worry about. Rabbits are a bit more hardy than some people give them credit for.

Skyler flew "cargo" with Delta by himself from Pennsylvania to Alaska. He had layovers in Texas and Washington. He did really well! I wouldn't have flown him if I thought there was a chance he'd be mistreated, and JAK Rabbitry wouldn't have sent him. Delta has a special progam set up for pets. They don't actually put the animal in cargo with the suitcases. They have a climate controlled, noise controlled compartment on the plane where only animals go. Like Amy said, the pets are personally brought out and put in that compartment in a climate controlled vehicle. During layovers, the pets are kept in a special room in the airport where they can have some quiet time and relax, and they feed the pets. Because he didn't have to be stuffed under a seat, I was able to buy a really big carrier for him (a Jack Russell Terrier would have fit in it very comfortably) so he'd have more space.

Cinnabun, Tallulah and Phoebe Mae have all flown in cabin with me. I agree it is nice to know exactly where your pet is and how they're doing, but I would feel pretty comfortable flying the bunnies with Delta's QuickPack service again.

Also, Alaska Airlines allows bunnies in cabin.

They replied to my message!! First, I will put what I wrote, in bold, then their response in bold.

This is what I wrote:

I am very upset at the change in policy as to not allowing rabbits in
the cabin....dogs, cats and even SNAKES!?! are allowed, but why not
rabbits? rabbits are less harmfull than snakes, etc. Please, reconsider
your option, or you will lose MANY rabbit owners from flying your
airlines. Riding in cargo is awful for rabbits and they can die. I will
not be referring any rabbit owners to your airlines as long as this
policy is reversed!

And this is their response:

Our goal is to provide the highest possible standard of service in all
areas of our operation, and we regret that we did not meet your
expectations regarding our current pet in cabin acceptance policy.
Currently only specific domestic breeds of dogs, cats and birds are
allowed. Delta does not permit animals with foul odor, animals with
tusks or hooves, ferrets, gerbils ,guinea pigs, hamsters, insects,
monkeys (except service monkeys), rabbits, reptiles, rodents, snakes,
spiders, sugar gliders or turtles as in cabin pets at this time. We
monitor performance throughout our company, and your comments will be
very helpful.

I realize this is a disappointment, and trust you will understand our
position. We hope you will continue to make Delta your airline of
choice.

On their website it says snakes are allowed in cabin, but in the e-mail reply they sent me it says their not....also, you can have service MONKEYS!?! What about service RABBITS? I know that there are some service rabbits....and wouldn't monkeys cause more ruckus thana rabbit? And surely monkeys smell worse than rabbits - who don't even smell at all, barely.

Emily

The whole debate about flying rabbits in cargo has been around for a long time among breeders. Many breeders I know - won't fly rabbits due to the stress on the rabbits and the fact they can't guarantee they'll make it. Others....fly rabbits in cargo without thinking twice about it.

When Marlin flew from Texas to Arizona - I was a bit concerned about him (and he was in the cabin) because the carrier he had to be in was so small. In my opinion, that carrier would not work for many of the breeds - like flemish, palominos, mini lops, etc - unless they were babies. Maybe Amy can add her thoughts to that if she still has the carrier - but the carrier has to fit under the seat for the animal to fly in the cabin...so it is a short carrier.

I have personally had rabbits flown in from California and Washington state four times. I've also traveled two days (one way) with rabbits in my van when we went to Lionhead Nationals in 2006. I found the car travel was harder on the rabbits than the air travel - and they had all flown cargo.

One thing to remember is that any time we travel with our bunnies - something could happen simply due to the stress of traveling. Is it more likely to happen due to the stress of flying cargo? Possibly.

But I know breeders fly thousands of bunnies every year via. cargo and the majority of them seem to do fine in cargo.

i received a generic response stating that only warm blooded mammals that are domesticated and non offensive can ride in cabin. I wrote back asking them if they knew rabbits were warm blooded, domesticated non offensive mammals. Have you ever sat next to a parrot on a flight? I have...much more offensive than a rabbit!

Dear Mr. Sullivan,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding travel for your rabbit.

Current pet in cabin restrictions reflect policy alignment for the
merger between Delta Air Lines and Northwest Air Lines. We regret it
causing inconvenience and disappointment.

Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate your selection of Delta and
will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

^^ My response. Nothing about warm-blooded animals or anything. Maybe they're getting sick of replying :D

Heres my email if anyone wants to copy/alter and send

Haley

Dear Sir/Madam:

I was extremely disappointed to hear of your recent decision to no longer allow pet rabbits to ride in the cabin of your airplanes. I was just about to book a Delta flight for myself and my rabbit during Christmas break, when I learned you no longer allow rabbits in the cabin. Due to the risks of stress and possibly even death, I refuse to fly my rabbit in the cargo hold and I will not be using your airlines as long as this is part of your pet policy.

My rabbit is my beloved housepet and companion of ten years. My rabbit is littertrained, just like a cat, and he is much quieter than both dogs AND cats. Rabbits are the third most popular pet in the United States. Not to mention they are small enough to fit in a carrier under the seat quite nicely. There is no logical reason that rabbits should be deemed second class pets, required to ride in cargo, while dogs and cats are allowed in the cabin.

I hope you will reconsider this policy. I am a part of many national and international pet rabbit rescue groups and networks. Many rabbit owners who fly Delta frequently will no longer be using your services as long as you have this anti-rabbit pet policy in place.

Sincerely,

Haley *****

Administrator, RabbitsOnline.net
MI State Coordinator, Bunderground RR

Here is the email I received: (at least they provide prompt, individual responses!)

Dear Mrs. Land,

Thank you for expressing your concerns.

We regret your disappoint with our recent change to our pet policy.

Delta and Northwest are working together to align policies and
procedures for both airlines.

Please note, your rabbit may be checked as baggage (if you will be
traveling with them), or shipped as very special cargo (if they are
traveling alone). For more details about these options - including
applicable fees and restrictions - select the following links from our
home page at http://www.delta.com/]www.delta.com[/url]:

Planning & Reservations
Special Travel Needs
Pet Travel Information
Pet Travel Options

Lastly, select the link for the travel option that interests you, checked, cargo, etc.

I realize this is a disappointment, and trust you will understand our
position. We hope you will continue to make Delta your airline of
choice.

Sincerely,

Sean Christopher
Online Customer Support Desk
http://www.delta.com/]http://www.delta.com[/url]

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

While checking on flight information, I came to believe my rabbit is no
longer welcome on board as carry on luggage, however, cats and dogs will
still be allowed. For me, this eliminates Delta as a choice of an
airline. I don't understand how a rabbit would be more disruptive than
a cat or dog. I hope you will reconsider this policy.
Thank you

Latest posts

Back