Trimming black nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys
Ever since I got haru almost three years ago I’ve been taking her to a groomer to cut her nails
She kicks a lot when we hold her but would stay still when it’s a stranger. And I’ve never clipped nails my whole life, so I was worried about hurting her.
I’ve seen black nails online but never as black as haru’s, her nails are so black that I can’t even use flash light. I haven’t been able to take her to the groomer for a few months so I tried to trim her nails by myself. My mom held her upright and I cut by looking at her nails from underneath. I just didn’t know what the quick would look like in opaque black nails. There was a black part on the edge, then a white part under it. I only cut the black just to be safe, but i was wondering if i could cut from the white part or if it was the quick? Because her nails are a bit long now.. how do I know where the quick is? I heard that it grows with the nails

I think it's the quick and you probably shouldn't cut it just to be safe but I'm not that experienced with cutting nails, so I may be wrong 😅

Hello guys
Ever since I got haru almost three years ago I’ve been taking her to a groomer to cut her nails
She kicks a lot when we hold her but would stay still when it’s a stranger. And I’ve never clipped nails my whole life, so I was worried about hurting her.
I’ve seen black nails online but never as black as haru’s, her nails are so black that I can’t even use flash light. I haven’t been able to take her to the groomer for a few months so I tried to trim her nails by myself. My mom held her upright and I cut by looking at her nails from underneath. I just didn’t know what the quick would look like in opaque black nails. There was a black part on the edge, then a white part under it. I only cut the black just to be safe, but i was wondering if i could cut from the white part or if it was the quick? Because her nails are a bit long now.. how do I know where the quick is? I heard that it grows with the nails
Best to cut just a little bit. And use the 'press press clip' technique. Put the scissors where you intend to clip and press down but don't cut. If you are too close to the quick bunny will react and you know you need to go a bit further away.

Best to cut just a little bit. And use the 'press press clip' technique. Put the scissors where you intend to clip and press down but don't cut. If you are too close to the quick bunny will react and you know you need to go a bit further away.
Well.. she’s (reacting) all the time since she doesn’t want to be held

Latest posts

Back