Trimmed Nails Now Bleeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mazzie

Reaction score
Help! I trimmed Bunnies nails and she's bleeding. I don't know if I cut too short or if a whole nail came off. It seems like a lot of blood. I've applied pressure and flour. Any other remedies? Thanks

Completely stop the bleeding, so continue applying pressure and flour. You probably just cut the quick, it should heal on its own. Just make sure it stays clean so it doesn't get infected.

Obviously you want to avoid this if you possibly can,but look on it as a lesson,and be more careful next time.I don't think a rabbit ever died from it,although it can look a bit messy.I always have a styptic pencil on hand,or a damp teabag when i'm trimming nails.Not the end of the world but perhaps just take a little less off next time and perhaps get someone to help you if possible.We all learn by doing after all.

One way to avoid this in the future is to do the "press, press, clip" as explained in the following video. The rabbit will know -- before you clip -- whether the spot is too close to the quick and will let you know. It's a great way to avoid cutting the quick.

Latest posts

Back