Traveling with two rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunnyBabbit

Reaction score
Read this first
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/neglected-rabbits-in-need-of-rescue.100250/
We're going to see them soon and I'm going to get some info on them and try to adopt them if I can. If I cannot do it that time I'll contact the local humane society and they may take them. If they do I'll adopt them.

It's about two hours from our house. I'm going to use a dog carrier for them. Of course they'll have a water bowl and lots of hay. I'll get the used to being in the crate some first and if I can I'll just take them for a few short rides first.

Once we bring them home I'll take them to a vet to get them fixed (if I get them straight from where they cane from and not the humane society).
But after that we'll have to drive them 4 hours with my two small dogs.

I hope that by then they'll be litter trained. But if the 4 hour trip comes soon I'll wait to get them fixed.
I'll get a portable litter box too.

Any tips? Am I crazy? Is this an awful idea?

Rabbits don’t like driving usually. However, if they are together they can cling to eachother and maybe not be as nervous. I’ve never taken my bun anywhere in my car yet. However I am taking him to get fixed in February. Maybe you could wait a week or two before getting them fixed, but keep them separated. If that’s not an option, then during the car ride, talk to them soothingly and if you can let them in their cage. I hope they’ll be fine!!

I have heard that keeping lavender nearby helps to calm rabbits. Either in oil form (only pure) using a small diffuser or the plant. Not to eat, though. I havent tried it, but it seems likely that it'll have a soothing effect.
From my experience with rabbits in cars, they don't drink adequate amounts of water. Offer them water first of course, but have a back-up. Offer a juicy treat such as a piece of apple or carrot. Under general circumstances too much of this isn't great, however, a long drive is stressful and they'll appreciate the treat. From what I've read, those babies deserve to be treated with delicious food - and lots of head rubs. I am sure you are aware they must be placed out of direct sunlight and have fresh air, and some of their previous food available, etc etc. Have a safe journey and thank you for saving them ❤

Last edited:
It's about two hours from our house. I'm going to use a dog carrier for them. Of course they'll have a water bowl and lots of hay. I'll get the used to being in the crate some first and if I can I'll just take them for a few short rides first.

Once we bring them home I'll take them to a vet to get them fixed (if I get them straight from where they cane from and not the humane society).
But after that we'll have to drive them 4 hours with my two small dogs.

I hope that by then they'll be litter trained. But if the 4 hour trip comes soon I'll wait to get them fixed.
I'll get a portable litter box too.

Any tips? Am I crazy? Is this an awful idea?

Trying to follow your sequence of events here. If I'm understanding, they have a 2 hour ride once you get them. If that is so, just put them in the carrier and drive straight home. Do NOT do a few short rides first as that will only stress them more. The recommendation for short rides first is for those who will stretch the "getting used to cars" over a period of many weeks. They would take a rabbit on a short ride one day. Then maybe try again several days later, and so on. Doing multiple trips on one day would make it terrifying.

They get used to the regular hum of the engine... but not if that engine is being turned off and on multiple times during the trip. Just make it as short and direct as possible.

What's up with the 4 hour trip with the dogs? When would that be? What does the litter training have to do with it? (Rabbits litter train after being fixed.) I wasn't following that well enough to offer any suggestions.

Last edited:
Trying to follow your sequence of events here. If I'm understanding, they have a 2 hour ride once you get them. If that is so, just put them in the carrier and drive straight home. Do NOT do a few short rides first as that will only stress them more. The recommendation for short rides first is for those who will stretch the "getting used to cars" over a period of many weeks. They would take a rabbit on a short ride one day. Then maybe try again several days later, and so on. Doing multiple trips on one day would make it terrifying.

They get used to the regular hum of the engine... but not if that engine is being turned off and on multiple times during the trip. Just make it as short and direct as possible.

What's up with the 4 hour trip with the dogs? When would that be? What does the litter training have to do with it? (Rabbits litter train after being fixed.) I wasn't following that well enough to offer any suggestions.
We might move.
Not sure yet on the timing or if that will even happen. If it happens soon I'll wait to get them fixed, if not then I'll get them fixed and litter train them first.

Sorry for all the confusion, I'm not entirely sure what will happen myself.

Latest posts

Back