Traveling with a bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mochismommy

Reaction score
Next month we’re going on a road trip 4 hours away and are contemplating whether we should bring our bunny or leave him with a relative. We can’t move his enclosure so we would probably have to get him another smaller one for the week if we leave him with a relative but I’m not sure if this would be too stressful for him or if he would be more stressed coming with us. We live a little far from family so nobody would come to our house to feed him/let him out, so he would have to go to their house. We were thinking of getting a pop up play pen for him if we bring him with us. Any suggestions? Have you traveled with your bun?

It really depends on your bun’s personality, mine regularly travelled back and forth to uni with me and wasn’t phased, but plenty would be. If it’s something you are considering I would take your bunny on some shorter car trips at first to assess how he reacts and get him used to it.

We've traveled with our buns. An exercise pen and items from their usual space (mats, bowls, litter box) and a collapsible cardboard box are all handy to bring along. The cardboard box makes an easy hidey for them since they will be in a new & unfamiliar place.

As @Popsicles suggested, getting them acclimated to car rides can be helpful. For the trip itself, the fewer stops, the better. They get used to the hum of the car and every stop gets them on high alert again. So keeping things even is the easiest on them. Here are some tips for the carrier:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Transport/Car/Car.htm
This was in a hotel. The next ones are in a cabin. We put a plastic tarp down first, topped with a fleece blanket.
1656374102407.jpeg
cabin cage 1.JPG
cabin cage 2.JPG

We've traveled with our buns. An exercise pen and items from their usual space (mats, bowls, litter box) and a collapsible cardboard box are all handy to bring along. The cardboard box makes an easy hidey for them since they will be in a new & unfamiliar place.

As @Popsicles suggested, getting them acclimated to car rides can be helpful. For the trip itself, the fewer stops, the better. They get used to the hum of the car and every stop gets them on high alert again. So keeping things even is the easiest on them. Here are some tips for the carrier:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Transport/Car/Car.htm
This was in a hotel. The next ones are in a cabin. We put a plastic tarp down first, topped with a fleece blanket.
View attachment 61337
View attachment 61335
View attachment 61336
@Blue eyes for trips, what size carrier would you recommend for two bonded plush mini lops? I'd like to have just one carrier (vet or road trips). Here's one I'm considering. Is it too big? Should it be divided?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sportpet-double-door-kennel-cm-0699-cs01

@Blue eyes for trips, what size carrier would you recommend for two bonded plush mini lops? I'd like to have just one carrier (vet or road trips). Here's one I'm considering. Is it too big? Should it be divided?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sportpet-double-door-kennel-cm-0699-cs01
If a carrier is too big, not only is it difficult to manage and carry, but it doesn't benefit the rabbits. They feel more secure when they are in a snug, confined area. I just measured the carrier I used for the trips in the above photos. Those were average-sized rabbits (so same as mini-lops). The outside dimensions of the carrier (width x length) are about 17" x 26" while the inside floor measurements are about 13.5" x 23." I would not have wanted to go larger.

The lovely carrier you linked is considerably larger. I would consider it to be too large. The rabbits should be together, not separated by a divider. I'd recommend a carrier no larger than what I used. If you haven't checked it yet, see the link above for Safe Car transport tips and recommendations.

If a carrier is too big, not only is it difficult to manage and carry, but it doesn't benefit the rabbits. They feel more secure when they are in a snug, confined area. I just measured the carrier I used for the trips in the above photos. Those were average-sized rabbits (so same as mini-lops). The outside dimensions of the carrier (width x length) are about 17" x 26" while the inside floor measurements are about 13.5" x 23." I would not have wanted to go larger.

The lovely carrier you linked is considerably larger. I would consider it to be too large. The rabbits should be together, not separated by a divider. I'd recommend a carrier no larger than what I used. If you haven't checked it yet, see the link above for Safe Car transport tips and recommendations.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check out your link.

Years ago when I had my first bunny we made an arrangement with another family. We took care of their bunny when they went away and vice versa - - but always in separate spaces so the bunnies didn't interact. Now my neighbors come and feed and play with my bunny when I'm gone and I reciprocate by taking care of their cats or dogs when they're away. That works out well too.

Latest posts

Back