Travel.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PureElla

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Holland Lop bunny, which is about 4-5 months old. I got him a month ago, and he's an angel! We are going to a beach house in August, for about a week. I traveled with my guinea pig last year and it was fine. I have some questions though:

1. How long can rabbits go without water? (The ride is a maximum 2 hours and I will give veggies on the way for hydration)

2. Will they be okay with a new environment? (The area will be like a house hold, but with a big more people. It shouldn't be too chaotic.)

3. How big does the carrier have to be? (I have a small carrier that fits a guinea pig, and a small bunny. My bunny fits but its a bit tight though.)

4. Will I need to feed anything else to my rabbits other than some veggies? (Do I need to give Toby hay or pellets along with veggies..?)

5. Will Toby be okay in a car for 2 hours? (There will be AC and the temperature will be okay!)

Than you so much, and hopefully I won't have any more questions. - Ella!

Hay always needs to be available, even for a two-hour trip, especially if the drive will likely be stressful, which it will be. As for water, I'd put a little in a shallow bowl, but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't eat it. In the new location, he will still need his litterbox, hay, food, water, and a place where he can feel safe, such as the pen he's used to or a cage/crate he would be comfortable spending most of his time in.

I'd be hesitant to let by buns free roam in a place they are unfamiliar with, filled with unknown people and objects. Bunny proofing is a lot of work for one week and I'd be terrified someone would step on him, let him outside, or not respect him by picking him up and treating him like a toy.

If I were you, I would try to find a pet sitter or friend you trust who can take care of him for a week. It'll be far less hassle with more peace of mind for you and there is no need to stress him out when he could stay at home and not be put in any danger. (Bonus is that a good friend or pet sitter can text you pictures and updates so you have even less worry)

If you have to take him, the car ride will be fine with just hay, water, and a little food for the journey. There are a ton of excellent threads on here about car trips with rabbits! Definitely choose to travel with a bigger carrier for his comfort and yours. In every situation, I put my rabbits in I try to imagine how I would like the same treatment, and being in a small box I could barely turn around in would drive me to insanity in less than ten minutes. Willa had a nightlight I turned on when I knew I would be home after dark for this exact reason, although that is a little overkill :).

*drink the water, eating water is not a thing... my bad! :)

Alright, so the room I will be staying in will be able to fit his cage. At the most, I would let him out while watching him ONLY in that bedroom.

At the moment, I have this carrier: https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...living-things-small-animal-carrier-14335.html

It was meant for my guinea pig, which can stay at home. I have someone watching over him and my fish, but I am still to scared to let Toby be alone.

Would this carrier be okay? https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...8&sr=1-1-8065ff8c-2587-4a7f-b8da-1df8b2563c11

The second carrier is better, although I would go bigger. You want to be able to fit a litterbox, even if just for the drive, make sure to cover the floor with something he won't slip around on and so that if he pees he won't spend two hours sitting in urine. What kind of cage will he have where you are staying? Either of those carriers are FAR too small to spend most of his time in for a whole week. Since you already have a trusted sitter, I think it would be best for him to stay home, much safer, and far less risk of a stress emergency such as GI stasis.

I second that if you could leave him home for a week and you have someone to come and check on them every or every other day it would be much less stressful for him.

The second carrier from Amazon is fine and it doesn't have to be bigger (well we don't know what size is your rabbit, some pics would help here but if he's not Flemish size this is big enough for him) for the travel, rabbits actually feeling quite good in tiny travel boxes, it's just for a few hours, it's fine. And it is safer for him when traveling by car because if car stops suddenly there's less chances he will move inside of it. When I use travel boxes like in your second amazon link I just put a layer or wood pellets (I mix in a little wood shavings because otherwise they will make lots of noise on plastic floor so on shevings it will be softer) then thick layer of hay, or even some straw under hay to make it softer. More wood pellets/absorbing stuff goes to the corners, you can leave middle free of them, it depends how your bun likes it. So now he has very soft and cosy and safe nest-like space like a hiding space as well and he will feel safe and comfortable in there. Don't put any bowls or at all nothing else in there, you can sprinkle some food pellets just at the opening so he will have what to do during those 2 hours. You can give him a soft toilet roll stuffed with hay and herbs as a toy, so there's nothing what can potentially harm him if car stops suddenly or something. All soft and hay he will eat it and will stretch out on it and if he is generally toilet trained he will go to back corner for his business so it will stay all dry and nice.

It is good idea to give him watery greens instead of water, but you say he's 4-5 months old so make sure it's nothing new only give greens he already knows. Cilantro, romaine lettuce would be good, mint etc. For 2h trip he will be completely fine since you have AC in the car.

First soft carrier in your first link is not good for rabbits not because of it's size but because it is very high chances that he will chew on it, plastic one provides safe shell you just line it with hay and absorbing stuff under it.

Also during the journey this travel carrier must be fixed firmly with a safety belt.

Latest posts

Back