Transporting Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochajoe

Reaction score
Hi All, I am posting this here as you all have the most experience transporting bunnies. At som point in the very near future, we will be leaving New Hampshire and moving to Ohio, at least an 800 mile ride! Our animals, all of them, are moving with us! This includes our 6 bunnies! I would like to know what is the best, safest way to transport bunnies a long distance like that? Any recommendations, strategies, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance!!!

Having never moved a rabbit more than a 30 minute drive, my only suggestion is to make sure that they're used to spending time in their carriers before hand, and perhaps even get them used short car rides to make the long one easier. Otherwise, you just have to make sure that they get plenty of ventilation on the ride and don't overheat.

I've never transported that far, but frequently transport.
I use a cat/small dog carrier large enough to fit my 2 together in with room for them to scrunch side by side at the back and ample hay, cilantro, and their water bottle at the front.
I grab a water bottle their used to using, zap strap it to the front of their cage, or use those spring metal clips some water bottles come with (depends if I can find that bit or not).
I lay down a nice thick towel at the bottom of the carrier, then I stick a bunch of hay in there more towards the front and sides. They tend to stick to the back and that's where they will usually pee so keeping the food away from the pee. Sometimes I sprinkle some pellets down, but they usually make a mess and end up burying their pellets so its not worth it. Once I pop both bunnys in, I will put some cilantro in (good for gas and tummy issues) You can give some probiotics like Benebac or Florentero or Acute Care a day prior to transport and the day of transport to help prevent tummy issues. My guys may only be out for a 45min drive, but they have to stay in their carrier for more then 8 hours while being harassed and flipped over by a bunch of students, nails clipped passed from person to person, back to the carrier, then another 45min drive home.

Youll want to make sure they all have access to food, and water through out the trip.

Our rabbit shows are within 4 hours of home; however, we did drive to Kentucky in April for a National show and that was about 900 miles one way. We have rabbit carriers that hold feed/water cups and they've gotten use to being in them, so like the others said, get your rabbits used to car rides to prepare them. I will give them a little water and some hay for the ride and then give them pellets when we stop at the hotel for the night. If you take them in the room make sure you are in a pet friendly hotel. We will let some of ours run around for a bit in the room, especially the Tans (since they are more high energy). In the bottom of the carriers we use puppy pads and put some pelleted bedding down to help absorb the smell of urine....otherwise, it doesn't take long to smell up the car! We replace it with fresh when needed. We will also take some probiotics and cheerios because some rabbits may stress more than others. We will add some cheerios (or another treat they like) if someone isn't eating much.

We moved almost 600 miles to get here. I rented the biggest van I could get and put all the bunnies inside in their hutches, so, they were in a familiar surrounding while being transported. Unloaded here, drove the van back and then drove my car back down here. It was a long day and a half for me.

We are transporting a barnyard...two horses, 5 Nigerian Dwarf goats, 15 chickens (they are pets and can't be left behind), 3 rats, a dog and 4 children!!! I am going to get a sign for my horse trailer that says Burkes Traveling Barnyard...LOL Thank you for the suggestions!

I moved my guys from Upstate NY to eastern KY in a days drive. Though they only got water when we stopped, which was twice that day. Then I left them in the truck overnight when we got into KY because the muffling properties of the truck(Silverado pickup with weather proof cap). I wanted them to get adjusted in the day light. I was up early(er, well 9:30) the next morning and unloaded them. I only lost 2 in the drive- two old rescued polish and that was probably from when I was behind a Semi that blew a tire(about gave me a **** heart attack- not surprised it gave those two them, they were not the friendliest of two, they were rescue's). Most of them were in their cages and I had 4 in a show carrier since I had to collapse their cages and my oldest Non rescue rabbit- Blaze was in a cat carrier up front with me so I could monitor him.

Sign for your horse trailer sounds like a marvelous idea!! Charge admission or by donation, will help pay for the move. lol We have only transported one bunny at a time for trips to Alberta 8 hours away. He basically travels in his oversized dog carrier ( 12 pound french lop ) with stops to turn him loose in the backsit that has a big padded mattress. We always make sure that he has hay to munch on and water. It is too long a trip for them to go without food and could result in GI status. Derby quite often will even eat some fresh greens when travelling. I know some people say that payaya enzymes don't work, but we find it really settles Derby's tummy at the other end of the trip.

Latest posts

Back