Transport

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCRabbitry

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with transport from ARBA Convention???

I have been very understanding, and normally wouldn't think anything of it, but I received an e mail that had the number of animals for me off by 1.

I was told that this was a typo.... However, being that I was never even contacted to be told that the rabbits were picked up and with the transporter, and the only response I got when I asked was "yup", I am a little concerned.....

They would not answer their phone this morning when I attempted to call, so I called the breeder that I purchased the animals from.

I was told that I was wrong for doing so....

It just seems to me, that if you are paying someone for care and transport, that you should be kept in the know about your animals that are being transported, and that it should be the responsibility of the transporter to check that all of the animals that are paid for to be transported are with them.

Or, is that just me???

I fear I don't have an answer for you, because I refuse to use transporters. There's just SO much risk...and everyone does things differently, which may or may not be the way you would do it or the way you would like to do it. It's hard, placing your trust in someone you have (potentially) never met.

See the other new thread, "Rabbit dies in transport" to see why...

I hope you get your buns all in good shape and all accounted for!

Youshould select carefully who you ask to transport your rabbits. I bought some rabbits at convention but had to leave before the rabbits were released. The person I used was an acquaintance from rabbit shows. My rabbitsmade it down here okay, although I don't know if they received anything to eat or drink on the trip. Rabbits can go a couple of days without food/water so I wasn't too concerned; however, some breedsstress out easier than others, and those are the ones you would need to take extra care with.

If I had to use someone I'd never met I would check with other breeders in the area to see if anyone had experience with the person.

That's just it... I had transported with these people before, and have had good experiences with them, or were right there to make sure my rabbits got into the truck....

Nuts to say, I am VERY upset by the whole thing and will NEVER be using their transport service again....

I have had 2 rabbits brought to me. I do know the transporter, but was still nervous about it. There were a couple other people going to the show, but she is the only one I would really trust out of them.

I think you need to weigh the risks and benefits of using a transporter. For me, this was pretty much the only chance I had to get Tans from the breeder I wanted and it did seem to fall into place. Since I don't drive and don't have a passport, it would have been quite difficult for me to go get them and I couldn't really afford to have them shipped (and that is a whole other can of worms). So considering there it isn't easy to get a Tan around here, options for going to get one my self were limited.
That being said, I have trouble trusting people. I would be hard pressed to use someone I don't know or who doesn't have a good reputation.

There are risks though. I have heard of people forgetting rabbits and having to go back to get them. Rabbits can die (not necessarily the transporters fault), get sick, contract parasites. Some of these could happen anyway when you go to a show and the rabbits are exposed to a bunch of other rabbits. People will be people and mistakes can happen.

You do have some responsibilities too. Make sure the transporter knows what you are getting and try not to make purchases unless you make sure they have room. Let them know numbers, tattoo numbers, breed (for size of carrier), who you are getting them from, contact info, if they are paid for (if not send a money order with them or make sure they are paid for in advance). If you can, kindly remind them about your rabbits, they could have a bunch to pick up and it can get crazy. Stay in regular contact with them, especially if you don't know them too well. You can use getting dates and times, where you will meet and other info. This can help them to keep you in the front of their mind rather than just some rabbits that have to pick up. Maybe even see if the can get pictures of your rabbits at the show, this means they have found the rabbit so at least know where it is and should have made contact with the seller. Also make sure the seller knows the transporters info. They should know who is picking up the rabbit and have a way to get in contact with them if needed.

As with anything, you need to know what you are doing and do everything you can to make sure it goes right. Don't just sit back and hope it works out. While you can't control everything and have to put some trust in people, it does help to do as much as you can.

That's just it.... I did ALL that... They had spots reserved (and paid for well in advance), they had ear numbers, they had ALL contact info for both the breeder I bought them from and I. (Including addresses.... So, that's phone number, e mail addy, and physical addy...)

I did everything correct on my end.... It is in the transporters hands now, so to speak... I just really really hope that it all works out for the best....

That's just it.... I did ALL that... They had spots reserved (and paid for well in advance), they had ear numbers, they had ALL contact info for both the breeder I bought them from and I. (Including addresses.... So, that's phone number, e mail addy, and physical addy...)

I did everything correct on my end.... It is in the transporters hands now, so to speak... I just really really hope that it all works out for the best....

I still NEVER got any confirmation that they had all 3 rabbits until I was there to pick them up.

Then, my confirmation was me, checking each and every ear number as I put them into my carrier.

I got royally chewed because I had contacted the breeder, only after calling both the transporters.

I understand just how tough transporting can be.... I get that.

What I don't get, is that you are being paid for a service. If at anytime during that service, someone that has paid you asks any question, or asks you to double check something, you should be more than willing to do so.

I was told that they couldn't even check the ear numbers because they were under other carriers.... And that even if they had been able to check their ears, that their numbers were unreadable. Which was bs.... Because I looked them all over, and they were all perfectly readable.

I have them all home now, and they are doing ok.... All I know, is that I will NEVER use or recommend this transporter to ANYONE ever again!

Wow, I'm so happy to hear that you got your 3 buns there safe and sound (and the correct ones, as well!) Unfortunately I don't think that this transporter was easily able to put themselves in you, the prospective owner's, shoes.

You're right though, I would never ever reccomend this person ever again to anyone. And the kicker is...you didn't ask for them to pick up a few (for example) chairs for you down in Indy. You asked them to pick up LIVE animals. There's always going to me much more worry, and that's why contact is SO important.

Good to hear they are home safe. What a bunch of idiots--they should expect people to check on their babies, so, their response deserves a good boot to the arse. Definitely never use them again. We don't like to let ours out of our sight and have even rented a van a time or two so we could transport our self.

Yeah, it gets me that these poor animals were treated poorly just to make a quick buck...

I agree too, that communication is key... I would not have called the breeder, had the transporters answered their phones...

I was told after the fact that they would hear their phone ring, and just ignore it.... Or be like "oh, it's so-n-so, I'm not answering it..."

All the way around, this was a very poor service....

TCRabbitry wrote:
Yeah, it gets me that these poor animals were treated poorly just to make a quick buck...

I agree too, that communication is key... I would not have called the breeder, had the transporters answered their phones...

I was told after the fact that they would hear their phone ring, and just ignore it.... Or be like "oh, it's so-n-so, I'm not answering it..."

All the way around, this was a very poor service....
Were these people that were transporting actual breeders/showers themselves? They should how important rabbits are to their owners, and be in contact with them every step of the way. So sorry that you had to go through this.

Latest posts

Back