TRANSPORT- Chicago Ridge Rabbits (IL) RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueFrog

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I promised my doctors that I would suspend my rescue work for a while, and after some scary health-related incidents, I'm going to keep that promise - just as soon as I make this last post on behalf of the Chicago Ridge bunnies.

The shelter had held off on implementing its small animal limits for rabbits because they and I were working feverishly together to get their buns into other rescues, shelters, and homes. I'm happy to say that with their support I've gotten 100+ out of there since mid-February. The post-Easter rush seemed to finally be over, intakes were way down while adoptions were holding steady, and we were just starting to breathe when rabbits started raining from the skies. A lionhead mother and her litter were found in a box in the the woods. A notorious BYB who had already paid $770 in intake fees for previous litters brought in another two litters worth of babies. Another person brought in almost 30 rex rabbits over the course of a week.

We lost at least twelve beautiful buns, mostly broken rexes, to the back room last week. Even after I pulled eight yesterday, there were sixteen-ish left, and another fifteen are scheduled to arrive next week.

The shelter has placed an ad in the local newspaper soliciting adoptions, but that won't be enough. The ad runs through this coming Wednesday, and after that....

If by any chance you were planning to adopt another bun, or your rescue happens to have a slot or two open, I hope you'll consider helping the Chicago Ridge rabbits. My ability to assist is severely restricted right now, not just because of my health but also because I took in a Pasteurella infected Netherland dwarf last week & want to minimize the risk of him spreading the bacteria to others. However, I'll do what I can.

Off the top of my head, I can remember the following buns:
  • Dark rusty orange rex with darker shaded points, in the "doe" stack but I didn't verify gender. All the rexes are well-socialized and sweet, but she really stood out for both looks and friendliness.
  • A rex in the "buck" stack similar in color to above with white bib and socks
  • Agouti rex in the "buck" stack, found as a stray and would benefit from more socialization but clearly started as someone's nice pet
  • Small orange-y bunny, maybe a dwarf mix? By the bucks.
  • REW youngster, rex in shape but I don't think in coat, super cute. I think doe but don't quote me on that.
  • Small youngster with orange eye circles and dorsal stripe, very pretty
  • Small generic black bunny. I was there when his owner dropped him off, and before he became "just another AWL bunny" he was clearly very loved and spoiled
  • Two cages full of lionhead mix babies, mostly dark in color
I know there were more but those are what I can recall.

Such a serious problem with all these buns that need homes! All buns should be fixed unless under the care of a responsible breeder..

I cannot take one but I can make a donation if that would help? Does the shelter have a website with donation button or I could send it to you via Paypal.. Let me know and God Bless you for doing what you've been doing.

TreasuredFriend, as always thank you for the support and information you provide, here and privately. Last week was awful, this week is going to be unspeakable. I was speaking to someone about the rabbits and started to mention that they had an English Spot, until I remembered he was one of those who went to hte back room. Hard enough to cope with euthanization calls in the abstract, but harder still with buns I know. I've now heard back from all but one of my contacts, and no one has space for even a single dwarf. I'm out of options, and can do nothing more than stand by and watch helplessly.

juliew19673, I greatly appreciate the thought but at this point at AWL it's all about space rather than finances. However, if you felt moved to make a donation to Catnap from the Heart, which has taken in the lion's share of the bunnies I've managed to spring from AWL, maybe it would help them take in one more? I can't guarantee that, but I know they certainly could use help on the financial side for all the buns they already have. They used to have 2 - 3 in the system at any given time. Now that we've hooked up, there are between 25 - 40 in the system because they can't bear to watch what's been happening either.

Hi BlueFrog,

I have been e-mailing with Julie and posting on her rescue threads about fosters. I was hoping to hear good news from a guy at work who recently lost his bunny, but he has had so much on his mind lately, or he didn't understand the urgency of the situation,that he forgot to ask about getting another bun, even for foster. I will try him again....

Do you have more information on the black bunny?I told myself no black bunnies because of losing Benjamin recently, but no spoiled bunny should be euth'd because of overcrowding. I would be interested more in a doe than a buck because of Patrick.

I also let Julie know that she should keep her eyes out for a seven plus pound doe who likes to cuddle. Naturestee let me hold Oberon and she won't give him up :X. I would love him just as much as she does.... I have always wanted a Flemish Giant, but any big, huge, ginormous bunny would do. I am not in a hurry for my own adoption, but if one should happen to wonder in...

In the meantime, I will look the house over to see if emergency cages could be set up for more fosters. I am sure the bunder-ground will help out if necessary to get fosters to me. Anything I can do, even though I know I can't save them all.

myheart

myheart, bless you for even considering fostering another. Whatever you decide, give Poofy Underpants a kiss for me, will you?

The black bunny is what I call a "generic black bunny", maybe four pounds, shorthair, slim and "rabbit-shaped." Judging by the lack of dewlap, I'm assuming male but have not flipped him over to check. I walked near the end of his surrender, when his comely, impeccably dressed young female owner was handing over his huge cage, toys, fresh bag of hay, etc. (all of which have been absorbed into the system by now) Everything was spotlessly clean, including the shiney bunny. Even after she'd been cleared to leave, she asked if she could say goodbye to him one last time. The intake manager assured her that he'd be going to rescue soon (that would be me) and I even offered her my email address so she could stay in touch. Well, when it came time for me to transport the speutered load of rabbits to the santuary, he hadn't been done yet so stayed behind. I've kept an eye on him ever since.

Because he's small but not dwarf, solid black, and keeps looking at the world with overwhelmed eyes from a tiny cage (for once, not the shelter's fault - they don't have space, and he's small enough to fit) he hasn't had a hope in heck of an adoption. I don't know his name - I try not to know unless I'm pulling them to get out. As for age, I know the oldest rabbit in residence is three, and most of the rabbits who arrive are between a year and a year and a half. I'd guess him at the year mark, but it's only a guess.

Julie did in fact pass on your request for a huge lap doe, and believe me, eyes are peeled. No opportunity for a good home goes unnoticed around here! Especially when it involves a request for the big bunnies I adore and which are effectively unplaceable in this area.

I agree that solid blacks and solid whites (with pink eyes) are probably the most difficult to adopt out. I probably wouldn't have adopted Benjamin because he was solid black and so very small (young). I wanted a bond for Maggie, my Cinamon heart-bunny, who was about six pounds. Benjamin was the only bunny at the G.B. shelter at the time. So I took him home and he became big and beautiful and the best bond-mate for Maggie. I could have never picked a better hus-bun for my baby-girl. He was aloof with me, but very attentive to all of Maggie's needs.

BlueFrog wrote:
Because he's small but not dwarf, solid black, and keeps looking at the world with overwhelmed eyes from a tiny cage (for once, not the shelter's fault - they don't have space, and he's small enough to fit) he hasn't had a hope in heck of an adoption.

This just makes me want to cry. I don't remember who posted the story about the dog that was surendered at a shelter not knowing what was going on or when his owner would come back, only to be euth'd because of lack of space. Such a touching, yet horrible story, of events that happen on a daily basis. Poor black baby bunny.... He could be the most precious baby there and no one will give him one look. I can't stand it.... If you get the chance, see what his/her personality is like (dominant, submissive, happy-go-lucky,...)

Thanks,

myheart

Ah geez, that little black boy sounds exactly like my foster mama. It'll probably be a long time before someone takes her home. Thank goodness they don't euth rabbits at her shelter.

I wish I had more space and time. You do so much for those rabbits, I just wish there were more of us able to support you.

I hope you're able to heal from your health problems soon!:hug:

myheart, I've inquired to the person with the most direct contact with the rabbits if she can tell me more about the little black rabbit beyond "easy to handle" and "misses his mom."

naturestee and everyone else, many thanks for the support.

Tonight is an unusually hard one. It's late, I'm in pain, and although Wednesday is supposed to be the day, that's what they said last time too - but unexpected overcrowding from the weekend surrenders meant they wound up doing it on Monday instead. I came so very close to losing dear Copperfield as a result. I'll tell his story some day, but not tonight.

To distract myself, as much as I can be distracted, from pondering the likely fates of the shelter rabbits - especially after an admittedly slender lead both appeared and vaporized today - I've been remembering the faces of all the ones who have touched my life since I started rescuing bunnies, such as:

Alf, the little Dutch boy who arrived during one of my pulls, and whom I immediately pulled out of the filthy cage he was plunked into to go straight to foster care. His fosterer fell so madly in love with him that he stayed.

Kingsford, the stunning blue satin rex who convinced two married shelter employees that he was supposed to live with them. He was right. Good boy, Kingsford.

Sugar Cube, a teeny little REW dwarf who is now the devoted companion of an adopted Russian orphan with cerebral palsy.

Horton, a big Dutch mix whose new owners were so thrilled with him they called the shelter to tell them so ... more than once!

Gypsy, a stunning calico lop whose new owner ahas rescued rabbits before, but was overjoyed that this one she can pet!

Twitch... oh, the things to be said about brave little Twitch, still inspiring kids to want to come to school every day.

Honey, the lovely rex lady whose example has saved the lives of five other AWL bunnies by encouraging her mom to take in more because "bunnies are easy to please, and this shouldn't be happening."

Tortuga, the stunning broken castor rex who inspired the funniest Petfinder listing I've ever read. Whoever he wound up adopting got quite a character.

Wild Thing, a black and white lionhead, whose instant bond with a young girl who saved up her allowance money to adopt him was so strong and so memorable, veteran shelter employees teared up just talking about it.

There are others, the ones who couldn't find homes or rescues but went to sanctuary placement, with the sun on their backs and the grass under their feet. Zeke and Jim, Cassidy's fellow cemetary companions. Kingsford, "my" darling boy with the ordinary looks and big personality. His "plain black bunny" brother with the Napoleon complex whose high flying reaction to his first taste of freedom will forever be etched in my memory. Midnight. Copper. The black and white doe whose previous owner couldn't be bothered to name her, but whose individuality was so strong she carved out the territory with the best afternoon sunlight for her own enjoyment. Oh yes, I remember you all and wish you well.

And of course, the ones who wait, patiently, for their humans to contact them. Kate of the Poofy Underpants. Narcissus, who has had so many near-misses with finding a forever home my heart breaks just thinking about it. Chelsie, whose storybook looks and sweet personality should have landed her a home long before now. The two big black brothers, who beg like dogs for attention and whose lives were saved by a freak confluence of circumstances that will never happen again but who will probably have to wait a long time for someone to recognize their specialness. Still, all safe and snug tonight. All safe.

Rescue bunnies, I've never asked you anything before, but tonight I ask this: help me get through this week so I can help your fellows, OK?

Quick update - additional news tonight as I hear more.

No new intakes over the weekend. The huge black rabbit was adopted :pinkelepht: as was one of the others; hard to say exactly which one based on the description. There was someone looking at the small black rabbit while we were on the phone, and I'm hoping to hear tonight that the adoption happened. Manager describes him as "really really sweet, tending toward the dominant side but certainly not a problem."

:weee::yahoo:

Most excellent news!!!! I am so excited for thetwo adoptions. A guardian angel bunny must have been watching over those two!

I do hope the little black guy gets a great home!!! Maybe they are tucking him into his new bed as I type this! If my inquiry worked, perhaps I should pick out another bun to inquire about and maybe they will get adopted also. Just a thought...

Keep the good news coming,

myheart

14 - 15 left, which means about nine need to find homes by Wednesday. Hard to say exactly how many babies there were. Since the cull will be oldest to youngest, I knew the littlest ones would be safe. However, there are fifteen more whose owner plans to bring them in, but was told in no uncertain terms to hold off until this week. With the six cage rule still in effect, we could be right back where we started by the end of the week.

myheart, if your inquiry worked, then would you please inquire about the beautiful rusty red rex girl with the bib and books? I really really like her but just can't figure out any place in this house to stash her.

I just have to say that I've been reading this whole thread and crying for a while now (not just today). I'm so sorry about all those who were....taken...I can't find a way to describe it.

I so wish I could take a bunch of them. I have this beautiful backyard that I keep thinking, "If I could set up a section of it as a sanctuary..."....but then I want every bunny that comes across this rescue area. Well - not all of them. Just 90%.

I will keep y'all in my thoughts and prayers. I wish it wasn't so expensive to fly them here and that they could be flown....I keep thinking, "If I could get a six hole carrier and fly them here - I could get six girls out of there...".

Anyway - I don't know why I'm posting except to say that I'm pulling for y'all and I know you're making a difference in the lives of those bunnies - even if at times it doesn't feel that way.

Many thanks, TinysMom. Don't want to make bunny people cry, but at the same time, this situation is eating me up inside and I need to express what's going on or I'm not even going to make it to Wednesday. I wish something like Operation Roger were more viable for transport to far-flung places, but I get nervous with such soft beginning and end times, and just think the journey's too likely to overstress the buns. Don't want to risk burning the village in an effort to save it.

I can only imagine how bad the situation is for rabbits in the Chicagoland area generally. Chicago Ridge may be the largest shelter in Illinois, but it's far from the only one accepting rabbits, and if what I've heard is true, the euthanization rate at many others is even higher. Every no-kill is packed to the gills. I can't recall when the last time was anyone has even heard of a rabbit making it into Red Door, for example. I know they immediately refer anyone with a pregnant rabbit to Catnap. Where the others go, I don't know. SSHS takes terrific care of their critters but the shelter is so small they can't handle many at a time. Many rabbits are coming in as strays, I wonder how many we never see because the hawks and coyotes get to them first.

Sorry, rambling. Must focus on the ones I save, not the ones I can't - let alone the ones who remain safely anonymous at other shelters I dare not contact.

If the little red rex is the next one I need to inquire about, then I will...

I love red-heads.... Patrick is a red-head, of sorts, and Naturetees nephew, Patrick is a red-head... Good, sweet personalities, with lots of smiles and laughs to be had. Yes, please, send along more information!!! She sounds like she could be very beautiful with that rex coat. I have never touched a rex, or a Jersey Wooly until Katie. I love to experience new types of hairs (former dog groomer--touched an Afgahn Hound once :p)

Did the little black boy get adopted?

myheart

myheart, have not received a return email from the shelter yet regarding the black bunny. You've never touched a rex? Ohboy, you're in for a treat. Even softer than my friend's eight Afghan hounds.

The lovely redhead is one of the most beautiful rabbits to come through Chicago Ridge. I wasn't pushing her because I thought for sure someone would have grabbed her up over the weekend. And temperament? As soon as I walked over to her cage, she walked over to the door to nuzzle my fingertips. :hearts

I'm guessing she's one of the younger rabbits currently in residence, just on the cusp of being spayable, although not young enough to be safe by a long shot. Dark rusty red coat with darker shaded ears, somewhere between the red and the sable on this page.

Latest posts

Back