Transitioning to a pen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer6514

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have two bunnies who have bonded really well and I want to transition from individual cages to one large pen and am looking for some advice on how to set it up. If anyone can post pictures too of your own pens that would be helpful.

I am mainly concerned with whether or not they can share a litter box and how to set up the hay feeder since I don't want it to get everywhere. I've been using hay balls but I'm guessing that won't work in a pen. Also what kinds of beds and litter boxes have worked for you guys? What do you line the pen with in case of accidents?

Thanks!

I use large cat litter box, but you can just buy a lager bin and lay hay in one side, If the bin have high edges you can diy. By making one side a little lower to easily jump in and it will keep the hay better at one place because of the high edges ☺

I don’t line any pens because my bunnies run loose in the house during the day. But I use carpet that are easily to wash, vetbeds and fleece blankets. As long I can stuff them into the washing machine and be lazy I’ll use that as a flooring, but it all depends on if my bunnies are chewers or not 😂

It’s quite popular using puzzle rugs and set it up in the pen.

Here's a temp setup I had for a bun, but it does show one way an ex-pen can be setup.
Couple things to note:
--Existing wall allows you to make a much larger space.
--Boxes are not against pen wall otherwise bun might use it to hop over the pen wall.
--Hay is inside the litterbox. Hay balls make it too difficult for them to get enough hay. They need their body size in hay every day. The hay balls are for entertainment only, not as the primary way to feed hay.
1591289910250.png

Thanks guys thats really helpful! I just have one more question, what do you do for beds?

My holland lop often sleep up on his bed, or behind my bed where I placed a vetbed and a few chew toys and stuffed toy. While my netherland dwarf like sleeping up on his hide house.

Bunnies don’t really need beds, they sleep where ever they find comfy with and you can provide or fix that spot ☺️

Attachments

• 25D294E9-E4DD-4865-A2CD-16A07ED9A0DC.jpeg
    25D294E9-E4DD-4865-A2CD-16A07ED9A0DC.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 4
What beds a rabbit will like will vary per rabbit. I've found that even one they like will sometimes be used for months and then suddenly they will start chewing or destroying it. You can see the beginning of some chewing on the green dog bed in the collage below. The collage shows a sampling of some potential options.lounging rabbits lo res.jpg

Here's a temp setup I had for a bun, but it does show one way an ex-pen can be setup.
Couple things to note:
--Existing wall allows you to make a much larger space.
--Boxes are not against pen wall otherwise bun might use it to hop over the pen wall.
--Hay is inside the litterbox. Hay balls make it too difficult for them to get enough hay. They need their body size in hay every day. The hay balls are for entertainment only, not as the primary way to feed hay.
View attachment 48381
@Blue eyes
Random question! But what’s that thing around your pen that would be great for mine since mine aren’t bonded yet. Both like to stick there faces through the pen I’m afraid that they will bite each other through there. Where can I find one? It seems like it’ll do the job :) sorry for budging in this is not my thread.

@Dreamer6514
I’ve tried different pet beds and all got pretty much destroyed. My buns rather just sleep on the floor under my bed too. But one thing they do like are cotton blankets they feel fresh and love to sleep on them. They also prefer to sleep on the bed with me at night but during the day under the bed.

@Blue eyes
Random question! But what’s that thing around your pen that would be great for mine since mine aren’t bonded yet. Both like to stick there faces through the pen I’m afraid that they will bite each other through there. Where can I find one? It seems like it’ll do the job :) sorry for budging in this is not my thread.

It's something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...ft-Black-PVC-Hardware-Net-EBPHC3615/205968463
I put it on when I was bonding rabbits in fact. I just didn't bother to take it off when I set it up as in photo.

Latest posts

Back