Transitioning from larger open space to hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ateflexi

Reaction score
Hi friends!

I recently decided to downsize my two bunnies' living space from an enclosed pen area (about 3.5' x 4' of space) to a two-story hutch (overall dimension: 4'L X 1.6'W X 3.4'H, including the roof). This decision stems from my need to free up some space in my bedroom for a new workstation. Another factor is that, because one of my bunnies Smudge is incontinent due to some neurological issues, I found myself having to clean out their pen once (maybe twice!) a week, and was hoping that moving my rabbits into a hutch with removable trays could hygienically be a better solution (and maybe salvage my carpet!).

The hutch itself looks beautiful and has opened up a good amount of space for me. However, it saddens me to move my bunnies from open roaming space to a seemingly more cramped space. :cry1: My hope is that they soon get used to their new environment and make the most out of the two levels in their hutch, but I just hate seeing them just sit in their litterbox thinking that they can no longer splay out like they used to.

Would any of you have suggestions as to how I can help my buns transition to this smaller environment? It literally has been less than 24 hours since I've moved them into the new hutch, so there is still more room for further observation, but I'm very antsy about making them happy, so I am open to suggestions! :)

~a

H2.jpg

I let them out once when I return home from work up until when I go to bed, so that's about 3-5 hours depending on how late I get home or go to bed. And the floor isn't wired--the floors double as the removable wooden trays and have a plastic lining. I'll be covering the trays/floors with a mix of newspaper and bedding so that they have more traction.

Thank you! I'm very pleased with how it turned out. :)
And they seem to be getting out of their box a little bit more and have started exploring the second floor, so I hope they're getting used to it quickly.

I have the same hutch.. and my bunnies love it. However, I'm not sure how to or what to do with the floor. I have their litter box with their hay feeder on one side, but there is poop and pee all over the place. And their little paws are yellow...
Any suggestions???

I have the same hutch.. and my bunnies love it. However, I'm not sure how to or what to do with the floor. I have their litter box with their hay feeder on one side, but there is poop and pee all over the place. And their little paws are yellow...
Any suggestions???

Sounds like they haven't litter trained. Are they fixed? Ages?

Latest posts

Back