transferrable skills- brainstorming switching industries

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
I am brainstorming how to switch industries. The pharmaceutical industry sucks and is getting worse. The only problem is that is the only thing I have ever done. I have a background in biology but I do mostly computer work.

Has anyone changed industries during their career? How did you position your resume to break into something else? How did you figure out what to target?

I would love to work with rabbits and get paid for it, but I'm doubtful. I was a vet tech for a while years ago, but with my physical issues I don't think that is a very viable long term career.

I'm just struggling and not sure where to look. Thanks.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that the medical records in doctors' offices are being computerized. I don't know how much long-term work there would be, but you could be self-employed for awhile & get medical offices with only a couple doctors take care of this.

On the resume, you focus on your skills & not how they have been used up to now.

I had a friend suggest going into special ed. I love God's special people and taught while I was in grad school, so it's something I'm going to look into. I need more heart in my job.

The electronic conversion is a good idea too Orlena, I could be a doctor's IT go to person. :)

The average person switches careers 3-4 times during a lifetime. You need to set up an appointment with a career cousellor to see what you are qualified to do, how much up grading you would need to break into another field, and what kind of steady employable job options are out there. My daughter went through years of school to become first a counsellor for kids, then a teacher aide and is now working with handicapped adults. The field itself is very physically demanding, good pay but horrible hours. Career or job counsellors can give you the options of pay scales, hours, relocation, what benefits are available etc, etc.

Thanks Alma, that is a great idea. Perhaps they can tell me how I can get paid to play with bunnies and educate people about them, that's my dream job :)

I think the buns are going to stay a hobby. But it's fun to put it out there to the universe. I may be able to combine using rabbits as therapy animals in a special ed setting. I love to take the rabbits to visit special children and see their faces light up. The autistic kids tend to really come out of their shells and talk to the rabbits or at least interact.

Latest posts

Back