Trancing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky_2017

Reaction score
I’ve been working on picking my rabbit up and it’s going pretty well. The most comfortable and stable position for him is me cradling him like a baby (on his back, paws in the air) but I researched and found that I was trancing him, because his head slowly drifted backwards and he was still. Sometimes he can flip around out of the trance. I always check his breathing when I do this, just in case. I have heard many things about trancing and that it is bad for rabbits. My rabbit doesn’t seem to be stressed when I do this and I think he may enjoy it. Is it bad for me to hold him like this all the time, even if it isn’t stressing him out?

*I’m very happy because he has started to expose his stomach to me, and he has also started to groom me, which I think are signs of him loving me yay
[emoji175][emoji195][emoji235]

I wouldn't do it, first of all because I would be scared of accidentally injuring his spine or him breaking his back by suddenly flipping around.

I wouldn't do it, first of all because I would be scared of accidentally injuring his spine or him breaking his back by suddenly flipping around.

Thank you for the reply, I just don’t know how to hold him, because that’s really the only comfortable position for him.

I agree with Aki. It isn't a good idea to do it unless absolutely necessary. Of course he "seems" not stressed -- that is why it is called trancing -- any rabbit will "seem" calm in this state. They are anything but. Some people still trance their rabbits but only once every couple months and only for a quick nail trim.
Here's a good article on it: http://www.hopperhome.com/trancing_rabbits.htm

If you build trust with your rabbit, some rabbits will like being held against your chest (feet against your chest). That is a more natural pose and does not trance them.

I agree with Aki. It isn't a good idea to do it unless absolutely necessary. Of course he "seems" not stressed -- that is why it is called trancing -- any rabbit will "seem" calm in this state. They are anything but. Some people still trance their rabbits but only once every couple months and only for a quick nail trim.
Here's a good article on it: http://www.hopperhome.com/trancing_rabbits.htm

If you build trust with your rabbit, some rabbits will like being held against your chest (feet against your chest). That is a more natural pose and does not trance them.

Thank you Blue Eyes, your replies are always so useful!

Latest posts

Back