Trancing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baska

Reaction score
Itried to trance Jack today...Lets just say that didn't go toowell. Instead of wearing a long sleeve shirt..I wore a tanktop...I got scratches all over. I made sure that he didn'thurt himself, but didn't make sure I wasn't getting hurt. Itried to wrap him up in a towel, but he runs away...Also just tried tocradle him in my arms, but he freaked out...I'm not gonna give up but Idon't want to over stress him. Anysugestions?

~Karly~

Alsoanother thing...After I put him down from trying, he was like showinghis teeth... What does that mean?

~Karly~

it means mad bunny...lol

Rose

P.S. bunnies kick harder when they feel like they are falling. Theyhave to be really well supported on all sides not to panic when theyare flipped over.

I agree with rabbitgirl. Your bunny didn't appreciate your efforts.

The following is what Buck Jones had shared with the group at one time about trancing:

Some do, some don't.

"Authorities" disagree about is effect upon rabbits. Someclaim it is as peaceful and restful as it appears. Othersclaim it is related to the "flight" response to a predator.The fearful bun, grasped by a predator,"feigns"unconsciousness or death, all the while it is extremely aware of whatis going on and it heart is beating furiously Assoon as the predator relaxes its grip, the bun will startleto full motion and make good its escape.

Fact of the matter is I can find no one who knows exactly what is goingon during trancing. Carolyn and I have often talked aboutlistening to the heart rate prior to, and after, trancing to idetermineif there is any change, but have yet to actually perform theexperiment. Frankly, they "look" too relaxed to be in somekind of "flight mode" in my estimation, but like the rest of them, Icannot tell exactly what is going on.

Suffice it to say, it has been going on for years, and I've yet to readof any bun actually suffering from it. I would not worry toomuch about the "danger."

Buck;)

For those of you curious on how to trance a bunny:http://www.mybunnies.com/trance.htmBelow is a picture of Maxwell (Buck Jones's rabbit) beingtranced.

Psst...hey Buck.

Maxie is still teaching us and amusing folks all over the world -- even from Over the Rainbow.

-Carolyn

You might try trancing him on a table top whilebeing held in your arms, to provide additional support. Ioften use a picnic table, with a towel or two, to act as cushioning.

Sometimes, you have to be forceful, persistent, and quick to stroketheir heads from nose to ears in a soothing manner. Remember,you are the Alpha Bunny in Charge. Even if you don't quite feel thatconfident, attempt to "project" that feeling.

Cooing in a high pitched voice, like one would talk to an infant, often helps.

Choose an area to trance him that is relatively quiet and free fromnoises and distractions like TV, radio, traffic noises, householdclatter, etc.

Yes, Carolyn, Maxie does do that, thanks to you! Takin' it To The Max!

Buck

Well,I've sucessfully tranced him, twice today...First was so quick hedidn't know what was commin, then I actually talked to him like ahuman, told him to lay on the towel so i can roll himup...andto my astonishment,did it!...I couldn'tbelieve it. Thanks again for all the advice.

~Karly~

I'm trying to trance ivory, but I dont think itsworking too well. whenever i stop petting his head, he just startswiggling again. can some rabbits just not be tranced? or am i doing itwrong?

Sometimes my Jack is thesame way...honestly, I have no idea...But he has been kissing alot moresince I've been praticing with him...I say just keep trying!Don't give up :D

~Karly~

Here's a picture of Missy when she was reunited with Buck Jones after his visit from California.

Beautiful Missy. She loves her daddy. I love the picture of the feet. Their feet are so cute, yet such weapons.

I do believe some rabbits are easier to trance than others. My littleMella is so easy. She squirms a bit and then suddenly her silly littlehead droops back and she's tranced. By the way, I find this to berabbits at their most adorable, with the exception of when they cleantheir faces.

My other rabbit Pauly is very hard to trance. I have to wrap him in atowel, cover his eyes, while rubbing his forehead and talking softly tohim. This takes several minutes before we can even start clipping hisnails or whatever awful thing he has to go through. (his life is sovery hard) Sometimes a combination of all techniques is the only way togo. Just make sure you're firm but loving.

I completely agree with you, Sarah. Idon't think Fauna can relax enough at this point to be tranced, butTucks would given time and the right 'attitude' from me.

-Carolyn

(And Buck used to pick on dajeti2 for getting Apollo shoes!Looks like Missy could use 'em, ey? You're absolutely right:she adores her Daddy.)

attachment.php

Carolyn, give me tips on how you keep that butt so clean. :)

I once had our first rabbit, Montie, tranced for 45 minutes upon ourpicnic table before he was "startled" awake by a birdtweeting. He was bolstered up on either side by towels, so hewouldn't roll over inadvertently. Seemed like hehad a nice nap, to me.

Thanks for posting Missy's "trance" photos, Carolyn. She's such a big headed, big footed magoo, but I love her so.

Buck

Lissa wrote:
attachment.php

Carolyn, give me tips on how you keep that butt so clean.? :)

Can't take any credit for that! I only bunnysat her for a couple ofweeks. I didn't do a thing to her in that time and this was her firstday back with Buck Jones.

She's Buck's baby girl. She missed him so much!

-Carolyn

OMGOMGOMG!!! I just tranced Chompers and Abby!!!Chomps HATES being held, will kick like mad and do anything to getaway. He was mellow and everything. Abby doesn't fight to get away likehe does, not that she loves being held or anything, but I was able todo it to her too. Then she spent a good ten minutes licking me after. :D

Bringing this back for Blossom Bunny and Bunny Mad.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back