Trampling babies??!! Why??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amelia1star

Reaction score
My female mini had a litter a few weeks ago, that morning I went out and all 9 were dead. They didn't seem to have died from cold, they were all spread out(obviously stepped on) and a few weren't born completely. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to prevent this for other litters?

Was this her first litter? If they were born on the wire floor then they don't usually live very long. There may be no way of knowing which ones might've been born alive and which ones weren't.
We've had first timers not get it right the first time, but they usually do better the 2nd time.

i had the same problem today with one of my french lop's litters..this was not her first litter though..came home to find them NOT in the nest box but sprawled on the cage floor..all 11 of them and she showed no interest in them..kinda irritating me as i have a waiting list currently..ugh

That happened to me to, it was a does first litter with me. She squished all of them except one miracle baby whom just happened to be at the front of the nest box all alone when the mama stomped the rest. That miracle baby lived as an only child
:3 ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1410524922.598333.jpg

My female mini had a litter a few weeks ago, that morning I went out and all 9 were dead. They didn't seem to have died from cold, they were all spread out(obviously stepped on) and a few weren't born completely. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to prevent this for other litters?

Usually when babies are scattered, it's because the doe had a rough delivery. In this case, I often find babies exactly as you did...spread out over the cage or nest, often bruised of squished, some possibly chewed or injured. On first glance, it certainly looks like the doe just went after her whole litter! And that can happen, on rare occasions. More often, it was simply a difficult delivery and the babies were injured or died on their way out. They were likely stillborn, and there was probably nothing you could have done to help.

This is particularly common with first-timers. Try, try again!

Also make sure the momma gets left alone, stress plays a major factor in te pregnancy. Ik ik you love your rabbit an u wan to cuddle it everyday, but the best thing to do is leave it alone MOST, not all, but most of the time

That depends on the rabbit's environment. Does that are used to daily attention or handling typically tolerate it just fine during and after pregnancy as well. I do try to keep pregnant does in a quiet place during kindling, but I am in the cage checking kits, checking on mom, etc., immediately after kindling.

This would be different for does that aren't used to a hands-on environment, maybe in commercial or larger rabbitries, of course.

That depends on the rabbit's environment. Does that are used to daily attention or handling typically tolerate it just fine during and after pregnancy as well. I do try to keep pregnant does in a quiet place during kindling, but I am in the cage checking kits, checking on mom, etc., immediately after kindling.

This would be different for does that aren't used to a hands-on environment, maybe in commercial or larger rabbitries, of course.

I'm also right into the nestbox after they kindled :3

Latest posts

Back