Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Well today I started training my bunnies. I amhoping to get them to come to me everytime I call them. I am using atechnique much like you would with a dog, using my voice, handsignaland food reward. As soon as much bunny touches his noseto my fingers, (I hold the treat between my thumb and palm of my hand)I let the treat drop so he can eat it. Then at least if they choose toignore my voice, maybe they will not ignore my hand signals, lol. Sofar after only doing this about 6 times with the bunnies, they arelearning quite well! Spice was really quick to learn that it means atreat and will come running from the other side of the run to get it,while Mocha was set on getting me to come to him, he did a few timescome to me, but not always, I just sat down and held my ground,constantly repeating until he chose to come to me. Then he gets pats, Ihope to be able to cut back on the treats after about a week of thisand just completely replace with pats. Might take longer though,anyways, wish me luck!

Laura

That is very cool! I wish you the best of luck whit it!!

What are you giving them for treats?

We have raspberry bushes in my back yard, so Ipull a stick off of that (which isn't too prickly) and break it intopieces, they LOVE this. And I also use on occasion store bought treatsor fruit.

Hi Laura,

:) Way to go! They'll come for food of any sorts you'll find. Evenpellets will do, which you might want to use in addition to the treatsto keep the sugar content down.

In another day or two, I'd start to incorporate giving them just patsinstead of treats every time so that they know that sometimes, it'sjust for love. Tucker gets kinda mad at me when I do that, but he knowsthat that's the way it goes. Sometimes he'll hunker down and enjoy thepats, othertimes, he'll give me a thump as he hops away to let me knowthat I cheated him out of his treat.

I do that with his litterbox training too. In the beginning, I'd givehim some pellets or a treat after he'd go in the box, now he'll get apat, a cheer, a kiss, or a treat.

You're doing a great job! Keep up the good work and do keep us postedon how progress goes. They do catch on fast. It's surprising, isn't it?

-Carolyn

Very surprising Carolyn! Spice did it once,touched his nose to my fingers, and got a treat, from then on he learntthat it meant he got a treat for coming to me. Mocha is still a bitrebellious and doesn't want to listen, lmao. I think I may startputting them out in the mornings before I feed them and use there foodas rewards, there always "starving" (so they want me to think) when Igo out to feed them in the morning, it might work best, even withMocha, lol.

Latest posts

Back