Training / Stopping a Behavior Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25471

Lionel and Murphy
Reaction score
I have been successfully clicker training and teaching tricks. I am also working on the “up” and “down” command to invite the bunnies on the couch with us. The problem is my Holland Lop (Mr. Get-in-Trouble) has discovered he can jump on the couch then to the HIGH table behind it ( I know buns like to be up high) He is smart and has learned that if I use the “down” command he gets a treat when he complies. I know he is obsessed with getting up there – and on top of it he may have figured out it’s a way to ask for a treat! I am considering using a spray bottle, but I am still trying to keep everything positive – I don’t want him to start running when he see us. Any tips on preventing the unwanted behavior – Just keep saying NO NO ? or spray? Or keep with the down command (which I have to reward at this point cuz he’s still working on that one…)

Hmmm... Hard to say everybody has different Ideas but I would probably say No and do the down command but don't be to harsh when saying No just keep working on it and he will eventually get it rabbits are smart animals!

Is there a way to move or block access to the table? Because a) yes, he's probably learned that this is a way to manipulate a treat out of you, b) negative reinforcement like using a spray bottle will only teach him not to do it when you're there looking (and may damage your relationship with him) and c) rabbits obsess and the only way to truly stop unwanted behavior is to block access. It sucks, but that's how it is. Like cats, rabbits have no innate desire to please their human(s). For example, I've taught our cats not to be seen on our kitchen counters but I still catch one up there now and then (and other times, I find physical evidence that suggests someone was up there when we weren't around).

Is there a way to move or block access to the table? Because a) yes, he's probably learned that this is a way to manipulate a treat out of you, b) negative reinforcement like using a spray bottle will only teach him not to do it when you're there looking (and may damage your relationship with him) and c) rabbits obsess and the only way to truly stop unwanted behavior is to block access. It sucks, but that's how it is. Like cats, rabbits have no innate desire to please their human(s). For example, I've taught our cats not to be seen on our kitchen counters but I still catch one up there now and then (and other times, I find physical evidence that suggests someone was up there when we weren't around).
I think you are right about that. I think I WILL have to block it temporarily until he obsesses over something else. That actually is the approach I've had to take on other things . I definitely don't want to damage my relationship with me - (and good point-he'll probably just do it when I'm not around ) he's still young and we are still getting to know each other in a lot of ways. Thanks for the input. I think I will just try to do what Rebecca said - to keep doing what I'm doing - just not too harsh. They ARE smart little buggers - gotta love'em!!!!

I've found that changing or adapting the situation/environment is usually easier than stopping unwanted behavior in rabbits, especially if the unwanted behavior is something natural to them.

Latest posts

Back