Training Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
This discussioncame up in another thread and I thought it might be of interest toothers. I've had so many peoplewho havecome to ourhome andare so surprised at how well Sebastian responds towords. I thought I'd share my methods in case anyone else would like totry them out.

In the wild, thumping is used as a warning signal and a show ofdominance by other rabbits. I have used it as a training tool withSebastian. I believe Buck Jones has used some of these kinds of methodsalso.

When we taught him the meaning of "NO" and "Leave It" we hit the floorwith a cupped hand. It has been very effective. We no longer have touse our hand on a regular basis. He now responds to the voice commandsalone. Usually….:?

I've trained Sebastian pretty much as I have my dogs over theyears. Animals in general respond the best to one-word commands thatare accompanied by a handor body movement of some kind.

When I went to the refrigerator to get his greens I’d ask if he wantedsomething to eat as I opened the door. I'd put emphasis on the word"eat". Before long when I said "eat" he ran to the refrigerator to waitfor greens.

We'd ask him if he wants "up" each time we picked him up. Over a periodof months he would come to stand up on his back legs all on his ownwhen you'd ask him if he wanted "up".

When he'd go behind the computer desk or the entertainment center wherethere were wires, we would smack the floor and say "leave it!" andchase him out. Soon he knew that phrase meant to stay away fromwhatever area he was near when he heard us say it.

Every morning when I come to the kitchen he's happy to see me and giveskisses. I always say the words "give me kisses". Now when we say itother times he will usually come running and give kisses.

If we ask if he wants a treat, we emphasize the word "treat" and go to his cabinet. He now runs ahead and waits there for us.

When he'd throw his toy I'd say "throw it"afterawhileI'd say it first and he'd throw it for me. You kind ofhave to capitalize on certain things sometimes.

I just think it's a matter of patience and a lot of repetitiveness.Weeks and weeks,or perhaps even months of it. I've beenworking with Sebastian for a year now.

One last suggestion. Be open-minded. I would never have listened if someone had told me a rabbit couldn't be trained! :dude:

RaspberrySwirl

Wow I never though of doing some of those thingswith a rabbit. I did train Nimue to "sit" or "stand" how ever you lookat it, by holding a treat over his nose and saying "Sit", and now whenever i say "Sit" he stands on his hind legs.

~Amy+Nimue~

You mean you trained Sebastian? I thought he trained you all:D

Ed

edwinf8936 wrote:
You mean you trained Sebastian? I thought he trained you all:D

Ed

Laura, I know what you mean about the"Are you hungry?" Sebastian does that too and it just cracksme up! When we come with the pellets, you'd think he hadn'teaten in days, even though sometimes there's still some inhiscrock!

Raspberry

Believe it or not I've been able to train Shermanto go in his cage at night so that I don't have to chase him all overthe house like a mad woman ... and it only took a few weeks.

I took some time to experiment and find out which treat he loved bestand would do anything for. This turned out to beyogurt dips.

Now all I have to do is shake the bag and say, "You want adip? Go in your house" or just "Go in your house" whileshaking the bag and he'll tear towards the cage like 40-going west, hopinside, and come to the bars to wait for his dip. I've got itperfected to a science now ... it works 100% of the time.

That's great, Raspberry.

We have our rabbits trained to go into their cage at night when it'stime for bed. All we have to do now is say "Cage Time" and clap ourhands very lightly and they head right for the cage. Of course, thereare always those times when one of them isn't quite ready for it andwill run around, but they always go into the cage in the end with noproblem.

When I give them their greens at night, I say "Bunnies" in a certainway that they know it's treat time. It's very cute, as soon as theyhear it all three heads pop up from whatever they were doing and thewhole herd comes running over to me.

Stephanie wrote:
I say "Bunnies" in a certain way that they knowit's treat time. It's very cute, as soon as they hear it all threeheads pop up from whatever they were doing and the whole herd comesrunning over to me.

Great tips, Raspberry. Thanks. I will be perfecting my training skills starting now. :)

Can you train a 2 yr. old? Can you train a 5 weekold? Do they have to be fixed? My rabbit ignores me in every situationwhich means I have to follow him everywhere to make sure he is alright.

Latest posts

Back