Training a show rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanluc_pippen_merry

Reaction score
So i have been thinking about participating in rabbit shows. I wouldn't be getting a rabbit specifically to show, i would use my current bunnies and enter the pet rabbit section. But they are a pita (P= pain i= in t= the a= ass). At least they are with me! >.< So my question is, how do i train them to be calm and to just sit there? Merry in particular hates being handled. She doesn't bite or anything but she tries desperately to get away most of the times.

A lot of the kids in my 4-H club have brought in rabbits that have no training and have the typical pet mentality of being able to do whatever they want, when they want.

Our training sessions involve having everyone put their rabbits on a carpet-topped table (bath mat on a dryer works fine). If your rabbit doesn't like being handled, you might have to train it to put up with it. There's two ways of doing this: treating while you're handling the rabbit (if the rabbit REALLY doesn't like being handled, you might have to treat for simply allowing you to pet her--full handed over the back, not just face scratches), and handling firmly. By handling firmly, I mean that when you pick her up, grab her by the nape of the neck (scruff) and gather one or both ears into your grab to control her head (especially if she decides biting is a way to get away). Then, when you lift, scoop up her rump and tuck her head between the scooping arm and your ribs (hidey hole). Then set her down on the table. While on the table, she is not allowed to move. Just keep a firm hand on her shoulders and treat her when she quits moving. If slight contact on the shoulders doesn't work, you may have to pin her until she quits moving, which can be done with one hand very firmly, maybe tucking your finger and thumb behind her elbows to keep her from moving backward; or it can be two hands; or make a V with your first to fingers and slide one finger on each side of her neck with your fingertips on the carpet (not very comfortable for the rabbit, and I only ever use it on particularly uncooperative rabbits).

Once you get the idea to her that being on a table means not getting to move, you can work on training her to sit in a proper position, which depends on what breed she is (or most resembles in the case of a cross).

To keep from stressing the rabbit out too much, only do this a little bit a day, but do it every day. If she struggles quite a bit, just get her to hold still one more time and then call it a day, but don't quit when she's struggling or she'll learn that gets her out of it.

I'm not a breeder and I've never trained a rabbit to show. However, I do have a rabbit that was very difficult to handle when we first got him. He'd literally turn into the exploding bunny if you picked him up: kicking, scratching, etc. But he's now much better about being handled. We simply kept picking him up every day. Not for long, just a few seconds, then put him backdown again (before he could do his exploding bunny trick). And now he's totally fine with being held.

I think the same principle applies to any type of handling that a rabbit is unfamiliar with. Just do it a tiny bit every day--just long enough for them to learn that it's not going to hurt them. The trick, as Hillside pointed out,is to stop before they start scratching or kicking (or worse, biting!). So if that's just a second or two at first, then justhandle themfor that long. As they become more tolerant of the handling, you can do more and more with them. Just take it in baby steps. And if they do start scratching and kicking, you need to hang onto them and not let them get their way. Once they've calmed down, then let them go.

Also, you may want to wear long sleeves and work gloves at first, to avoid getting your hands and arms scratched to pieces!

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thanks a bunch for the info!

I started putting the advice into practice today by just working on getting her used to being pet first. She is still not 100% comfortable being petted even so thought I would start with that and see how it goes over the next few days.

They're both mini lops, Pippin has loved being pet since day 1, though he's not so happy to be picked up so that's something i will work on with him. ^.^

i hav a rabbit who doesn't lik to be handed but got grand champion. At the shows most judges let them walk around on the table. if the rabbit bites the judgeit is dq. after several shows they should become use to being handled in a show rabbit fashion

I won't say that biting is always a DQ. It says in the rules that a judge CAN disqualify an overly aggressive rabbit, but I was at one show where a Brittania Petite that bit 4 out of 5 judges in the BIS judging GOT the BIS award. Not exactly good practice...but it does happen.

While judges do let the rabbits run along the table (even the breeds that don't track), they still want to see the rabbit in position, and they're more likely to get placed higher if they'll hold the pose themselves for at least a few seconds.

When competing at local fairs and/or in 4-H, though, rabbits are expected to hold still in their particular square until judging has been finished (could be 1/2 hour).

Latest posts

Back