torn out claw

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Jesse

Reaction score
My 4 year old female ripped a claw this morning. It bled quite a bit. I put some hydrogen peroxide on it and covered it with a gauze pad. took her to the vet who cleaned it and put an antibiotic and some other med on it along with a bit of local anesthetic and then bandage it up. Said to keep her bandaged for at least a day and to keep her indoors. She is in now but not happy. She will eat but sits in the corner staring at the wall. I have no doubt she is stressed. She is with her hutch mate. Am I worrying too much? Her hutch mate had the same thing years back but carried on quite normally after a few hours.

She is eating and drinking normally. But she has a big bandage on her paw and its driving her crazy. She has tried to pull it off but at the moment she has only succeeded in getting some of the padding and through the end. I am taking her to the vet in a few hours to have the bandage removed but am fearing that as he put a lot of white tape over the end to hold it in place. She will be frightened . I would like to remove the loose bit in the meantime but being skittish I do not want to go near her with scissors. I am going to invest in a pair of blunt end scissors like the doctors use,

Things went fine removing the bandage. The vet put a bit of rubbing alcohol on the tape and then cut through it. She felt better. He told me I should keep her indoors for a few days in case she starts digging in the ground and tearing the skin. The nail is gone. Its a beautiful day and I feel bad about keeping her in. All of the others except her hutch mate are out. As she is the one that was trembling/quivering I mentioned in a previous post I had him check her vitals and they were okay. She is a very healthy eater, especially hay and vegetables. However she still shakes/trembles/quivers on occasion.

Latest posts

Back