Toothless rabbit,poop on bum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northerndancer

Reaction score
Hi

sorry for starting a new thread I couldnt find info on this particularsituation. My bunny has no front teeth after an op for malocclusion.

I have been keeping an eye on her for getting poops around herbumnow that she hasno teeth to groom and lately shehas had a problem with this. Tonight we had to pick her up (shehates being picked up) and removed the dried poops by pulling itout of her fur quickly. She is short haired. It seemed so cruel but wefelt we had to incase she got maggots. She hates me now.

Would we be better to clip the hair around the area with clippers? Shestruggles so much I thought it was better to pull it out qickly ratherthan faff around with sharps like scissors. Anyone shaved their rabbitback end in this situation?

What are the early signs of fly strike?

Will checking her bum weekly be enough?

Thanks for any advice,

ND

When Dash was paralized I had to check his bumevery day because it would build up and if it stayed there for too longit will irritate their skin. What I did with Dash was soak his bottomin a tub with warm water, then after I dried him off I took VERY sharp(and curved) embroidery scissors and cut off all the fur around hisbum. If your bunny isnt one to sit still I would be SUPER carefull whendoing this, actually I dont know if I would ever recomend it. I wouldjust try to keep his bottom clean by soaking him in warm water :)

~Amy

I don't mean to sound like a total wierdo, butafter all the raving reviews on vanilla, is it possible that somevanilla extract combined with something vaseline-like (not it, ofcourse, something edible) around this bunny's tooshie combined withsome fur trimming might work in ensuring flies stay away?

I just want to stress one last time to be SOCAREFUL not to cut th ebunny and if you do you must actively clean anddisinfect the wound. Especially if this buny gets poopy buttproblems that is an easy way for germs to get in there. Youdon't want your bunny to get a staph infection...those are just awfuland quite deadly.

I dont know if this will actually work ornot...but they make those kid safe scissors ... that are supposed toonly cut paper.. they make them out of either really blunt plastic ormetal...they are terrible at cutting paper, but ive seen on more thanone occasion of being in charge of 30 kids age 5 and under, they cuthair VERY well ...and almost impossible to break skin with..a pinch atmost ..maybe you could try that

Oh my! I don't think you should pulldried feces off of your rabbit's fur. Use scissors nexttime. Get grooming scissors at a local pet store.Be extremely careful NOT to nick the bunnie's skin.

ayglnu13 wrote:
Kricketwrote:
Ohmy! I don't think you should pull dried feces off of yourrabbit's fur. Use scissors next time. Get groomingscissors at a local pet store. Be extremely careful NOT tonick the bunnie's skin.

~Amy
Our S'more has been having the same problem. Last night was the worst.The whole underside of her tail was crusted poopies. She has groomedsome of the fur away fromher belly trying tokeepclean, but the poops end up sticking to the skin. OWIE!!!!

I have a sharp pair of small scissors with blunt tips. They work reallywell, but you still have to be careful. I was able to trim her tail andget the entire clump off in one piece. We then used a sray bottle withwarm water to soak all of the other affected areas. After a while wewere able to remove everything remaining from her fur and skin. Afterdrying her we applied anti-bac ointment. She was such a good bunniewhile we cleaned her. We'll be checking her every day or so now (she'llbe thrilled I'm sure).

Cheetos mom wrote:
I don't mean to sound like a total wierdo, but after all the raving reviews on vanilla, is it possible that some vanilla extract combined with something vaseline-like (not it, of course, something edible) around this bunny's tooshie combined with some fur trimming might work in ensuring flies stay away?
The flies are first attracted by accumulated poop and usually lay their eggs there. If the vanilla "salve" your suggesting were overlaid by poop, I don't know if it would act as enough of a repellent or not. Flies can lay eggs in any open wound or moist area, so don't limit any inspection of your bun to the rectal area only.

The vanilla also is supposed to reduce the number of flies that hang around poop found under hutches for those who keep their rabbits outside or breed. Supposedly, flies don't like the odor, but don't get the impression it drives 100 per cent of the flies away. The operant word here is reduce.

Flies still hang out around my hutches, but significantly less so, in my estimation, than when I do not use the vanilla in the drinking water. I thought the poster who suggested spraying the hutch with vanilla posed an interesting technique and would be curious to learn of any follow up to that kind of approach.

Buck

Latest posts

Back