Tooth root abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelia_Eva

Reaction score
I hope the bunny lover community can help me.

I took my bun to an exotic vet because she has not been eating as normal. The vet asked for a CT scan and said that my baby has a tooth root abscess. Because of its location, it cannot be cleaned with surgery. Also the vet said that because of its location, they cannot take a sample for a culture. So the vet proposed to treat the tooth root abscess with antibiotics. They recommended long acting penicillin.

I could not find any info that indicates that penicillin could cure or control a tooth root abscess. Penicillin sounds like a weak antibiotic but I may be wrong. Have you all heard of such treatment?

Also the vet wanted to trim the bun's teeth. They said that the teeth trimming will NOT worse the abscess. They wanted to use an electric drill rather than a file. The rationale is that an electric drill can target the teeth that need to be trimmed, while the file does not. Do you have any comments?

Thank you all for your help!

Latest posts

Back