tooth root abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat1234

Reaction score
hi everyone
when i took my rabbit in to get his teeth filed the vet discovered he has abscess in his tooth root
im holding off on the surgery for now to try and get some weight on him but he will be getting surgery in the near future
i was hoping someone could tell me what to expect in terms of after care and anything else you know about the procedure

The main thing to watch for after the procedure is to make sure that he is eating. If he doesn't eat, you may need to use an oral syringe and feed him some Critical Care until he eats on his own. Critical Care is something your vet would have. Your vet may or may not give pain medication, depending on how invasive the procedure is. Some vets give medication to keep his gut moving or antibiotics. I always had pain medication on hand in case they needed it. Most of the time, they did get any medication from the vet, and they did not need any. I have had some rabbits eat right away after surgery, and others that took a couple of days before they would eat. His mouth may need to heal before he starts eating a normal amount of food.

alright thank you !!!
should he be put on an antibiotic or something now? or is that something that should be given after surgery
also the vet said there's only a 75% chance he'll survive surgery even though he's in good health besides his teeth, is this a normal number (he's 7)

Antibiotics is something that he might be put on after the procedure. It would be given so that he dose not get an infection. If he isn't eating hay, he could end up being a very expensive rabbit for you. There is only a 25% chance that he won't make it through the procedure, and he will have to have it done again and again unless he is eating hay. My foster had his teeth done every 3 to 6 months and he lived to be 12. He belonged to a no-kill rescue, so they paid the bill. The view of the vet and the rescue was that once he got his teeth done, he would be happy. The roots of his teeth would affect his eyes and his eyes would water, and he was in pain. He would get his teeth done and his eyes would stop watering, but since rabbits hide their pain, it was hard to tell how he felt. If he could have talked, I think he would have said, "Let me die," at the age of 8. After that age he never expressed joy, never interacted with people or other rabbits or sought out attention. When I let him out of his cage, he would just find a place to hide. As the foster provider, I should have had say, but the vet and the rescue were determined to save his life, so I did what was asked of me, but I don't feel good about it. If not eating hay so that his teeth are not wearing down properly is your rabbit's only problem, then I think he could be happy after the procedure. If the roots of the teeth are the problem I would stop having the procedures on his teeth done and put him to sleep when his behavior changes to the point that you think he may be in pain. My rabbit was about 4 when I got him. He started needing dental work at the age of 6. He was a nice gentle guy that would never bite when I got him. When I put him to sleep at the age of 12, I had to wear leather gloves to handle him because he would bite so hard. He was in pain and angry. By then his eyes watered even after the procedure and the vet said there was nothing more she could do for him.

i'm really hoping he'll eat hay after this bc yes this surgery is already very expensive
i think he'll be happy after as his behavior hasn't changed yet, the abscess isn't that bad rn because he's just developed it in the 6 weeks between his check up and his teeth filing appointment unless the vet completely missed it the first time but it didn't sound like that was the case

Latest posts

Back