Too young to bond?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyabrooke

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, we got a 10 week old Netherland Dward bunny yesterday to try and compliment Napoleon's aggressive/independent behaviour. Poe really can be an angel when he isn't charging at you (which isn't very much, just in his favourite places), but he is very much his own bunny and isn't that interested in people unless it is on his own terms. He does tolerate being picked up and cuddled, but doesn't like being petted on the ground much and would never sit on your lap. He can lay next to you though.

My mum thought that getting a bunny that DOES love being cuddled and nursed and lazing around on you would mean I can have the best of both worlds whilst also letting Poe be his own man with no pressure to be the snuggle bunny I have always wanted.

So this led to Horatio. He is such a darling and has been handled since he was very young, so he is more than happy to sit on your lap for hours. He is very small, but very calm considering the big move he has made. He was already grinding his teeth when I was with him in the car ride home!

ANYWAY so we have spoken to the breeder about bonding Horatio to Napoleon and she said to start ASAP. Is this right? He seems SO young to be meeting our boisterous active Poe. I have never even seen Ray do a jump and that's all Poe does! Couldn't this be dangerous? I know it will be supervised... but still! Poe seems to love our big Angora Dudley, so I'm sure he won't mind Ray, I'm just worried he might be a little too rough with him.

We plan on getting Ray neutered when he comes of age (around 4 months right?), and Poe has been neutered around 1-2 months ago.

Any advice would be great!

T

I introduced my babies to my adult as soon as I could. It is much easier to bond a baby to an adult than it is two adults. Good luck! Of course only let them interact with supervision at first.

When I originally got Morrigan the breeder rubbed a wet cotton ball on luthers man bits to get his scent and rubbed it all over her. This masked her scent so he didn't see her as threatening and by the time her smell came back he already loved her so didn't care :) Maybe try that as well so he doesn't get aggressive towards him :)

Latest posts

Back