too young for fresh foods?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbolar

Reaction score
I just obtained a new rabbit and the seller hadno idea how old he was. All I know is that he's a dwarf rabbit.Currently he's about 7 inches long and 4 inches tall. He's been on adiet of timothy hay and pellets for the last couple days . I want to beable to give him fresh greens and fruits as a reward and of coursenutritional reasons, but someone told me you can't give fresh foods tobaby rabbits. I'm not sure what's true or how to determine theapproximate age of my rabbit based on his size.

It is generally not recommended that you giveyoung rabbits fresh veggies as it can easily upset their digestivetract and cause problems. Usually around 5 or 6 months you can beginintroducting them slowly.

As to determining age, can you get a picture of the rabbit sittingbeside some sort of identifyable object so we can get an idea as tosize and maybe breed if you're unsure.

I know that a lot of people will disagree withme, but I've been told by several breeders and vets that there reallyis no proper age to introduce veggies. What I've been told,is that as long as they are eating hay, they can haveveggies. Just introduce them slowly starting with somethingdark and leafy like romaine lettuce or dandelion greens. I'vestarted 6 week old rabbits on greens with absolutely no bad effects.

Jen

Well based from experience, I actuallyintroduced veggies at6 weeks. I know people say not to but Igave very minimal amounts and gradually worked up to small salads.

The main reason was because my pellets do not have the proper nutritionso I wanted to supplement with veggies (mainly green veggies). The keyto adding veggies to a diet is not age (in my opinion) but to do itslowly and watch for signs that you are either moving too fast with adiet change or signs that your rabbit is not ready to eat veggies.

Don't rush giving veggies if you decide to, just give a piece ofparsley or cilantro every second day and gradually work up to more.Never rush things, it's not always the easier route, 'listen' to yourrabbit when doing new things.

EDIT: I just thought I'd also note that when my older 2 were justbabies, their mothers were being fed veggies so they were eatingveggies from the time they could eat solids. They showed no ill effectsfrom it.

It would help if we knew how much he weights.ifhes seven inches long hes probably older than 8 weeks.i like to waituntill a bunny is 4 months old.Dwarfs are soo small if they getdiahhrea you can lose them fast.I raise Netherland Dwarfs,bluebird

cirrustwi wrote:
I know that a lot of people will disagree with me, but I'vebeen told by several breeders and vets that there really is no properage to introduce veggies. What I've been told, is that aslong as they are eating hay, they can have veggies. Justintroduce them slowly starting with something dark and leafy likeromaine lettuce or dandelion greens. I've started 6 week oldrabbits on greens with absolutely no bad effects.

Jen
I have also given my babiesgreens while still with the mother , the mothersmilk helps offset any problems , I also have neverhad an issue giving babies greens . usuallywhat evermom eats the babies eat . Withrabbits I dont raise Ialaways start with the easier digestedveggies no matter the age ,parsley is one of theeasiest on them . My 10 week old who just went througha round of loose poops dueto bad hay , is eating pasley andit helped firm him up a bit .as it did his siblings

as mentioned watch yourrabbit and it will tell you if you are giving tomuch too soon . If your unsure still dont feedgreens yet just give plenty of hay .

This is a so/so subject as lots of people havedifferent opinions. Like the otehrs said, give them a tiny bit and waita day and see if anything goes. I'm thinking you can get an idea of theage, because with my netherland dwarf she looked really stuffed animaland had soft fur, tiny ears, and just looked fluffy and small. If theyare older (not sure?) They usually look more sleeker then fluffy. (Notsure how accurate that is but i don't know)

Many people argue about the vegetables because rabbits in the wild eatthem starting off and all that. What I think is, since the mother eatslots of greens, so wouldn't the milk have lots in it too that's whythey aren't affected by it?

Even after a week or two of introducing the vegetables, I still wouldgive more than a small hand full just incase. Just watch out and removeall the vegetables if they get diarrhea.

Spring wrote:
This is a so/so subject as lots of people have differentopinions. Like the otehrs said, give them a tiny bit and wait a day andsee if anything goes. I'm thinking you can get an idea of the age,because with my netherland dwarf she looked really stuffed animal andhad soft fur, tiny ears, and just looked fluffy and small.If they are older (not sure?) They usually look moresleeker then fluffy. (Not sure how accurate that is but i don't know)

Many people argue about the vegetables because rabbits in the wild eatthem starting off and all that. What I think is, since themother eats lots of greens, so wouldn't the milk have lots in it toothat's why they aren't affected by it?

Even after a week or two of introducing the vegetables, I still wouldgive more than a small hand full just incase. Just watch out and removeall the vegetables if they get diarrhea.
they look sleeker after their firstmolt , but thats not a good indicator of age , asthey can molt at any time depending on weather ,

Mothers milk produces enzymes that help the babies transition over to solid foods .

Oh ok thanks. I was assuming this because when Ifirst got my rabbit pretty young, her fur was fluffy and plushy likethe downy on a baby bird, then when she got older it turnedsleeker. Even when she molts unless it's to the point where I can pluckit off, usually on non molting or beginning, her fur stays smooth. Hmmi'm not sure.

Latest posts

Back