Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyBun25

Reaction score
So I just started bonding my pair. I have a boy and a girl bun that are both spayed and neutered. the boy was neutered about 4 weeks ago and the girl has been spayed for years.. My problem is, the boy bunny is humping a little too much and its his first time really doing that kind of thing. I got him pretty young (8 weeks old) and got him neutered at 5 months old before he started any of those kind of hormonal things. He did spray a bit but never humped things. I have bonded rabbits before and I knew that it was going to happen to assert dominance and all but the boy is being out of hand :( I only say this because today is the second day of bonding and he now seems to have a blister on his boy bits and I had to separate them to just let him rest. Yesterday was the first day of bonding and it was about a 2 hour session. No fighting. No biting or anything. Just tons of humping from the boy and his bits seemed ok. but today after 3 hours, I picked him up to check and now notice a blister and hes pretty raw ( poor guy :( ). I cleaned him up down there with a non scented baby wipe and made sure nothing else was irritating him (hair and such) and hes all good except the blister from too much action... Should I be concerned about the blister? Is there anything I can do or a vet visit in order? He seems to be uncomfortable of course, but still acting like himself. Just feel bad for him and I'm even thinking of waiting a little longer to do the bonding but I'm not sure. Just need some advice since I cant find anything about this on google! Photo attached is from first day of bonding and I thought it was going soo well!

Attachments

• 106243688_3623103147904483_2576462974487856230_o.jpg
    106243688_3623103147904483_2576462974487856230_o.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 7
So as instructed by the vet, I have been putting sugar on his very swollen boy bits because its not going inside of the skin where it should be ( I was told sugar would reduce swelling). the swelling has gone down a ton and instead of looking red, its turning back to a pink color.. my only problem is where the blister was. Blister popped and now is like a scab. I'm so scared to wipe and remove it so his bits can go back into the skin because I do not want to hurt him more than he is already hurting. Anyone have experience with blister on a rabbits penis from too much humping?????? how did you go about treating it? cleaning it?? etc... I do have a vet and have been following their instruction on care. Just last week, my car broke down and his vet office is 45 minutes away and I have no way of getting there so that's why I'm trying everything I can to do this myself so please no judgement. :/ He does seem uncomfortable but he is still eating and drinking as normal and even doing his flops.

Oh also, I will be waiting those weeks to make sure this doesn't happen again. I'm a wreck right now because I have never had this happen. I have bonded a pair before and the male did some humping and never had this happen :(

I think waiting a few weeks is a great idea, but I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up too much about his condition. I would never have even considered a blister on his genitals from too much humping as a possible outcome in bonding and it sounds like he is healing well and not too uncomfortable. This sounds like quite a freak occurrence to me and something that you would have had no reason to consider as a possible consequence of the encounter.

As far as cleaning or treatment, I'd advise being sure to keep him and his area especially clean to prevent infection and cleaning the area with a soft cloth damp with water or hydrogen peroxide. Since it's a very sensitive area, only use hydrogen peroxide if it's starting to get dirty or inflamed to indicate infection. I would avoid any unnecessary handling or cleaning of the area, but keep an eye on it and cleaning as necessary. A scab is a good sign of healing, so I'd try not to mess without too much and allow the body to heal on it's own as best you can. Best of luck and I hope that's helpful!

I had this a few times with different boys. Just sometimes they need more time after neutering. With first boy I've started bonding after 8 weeks and he was very relaxed when he was single but when there was a girl with him he started spraying and humping, so I just separated them for one more month and then started all over again, this time was perfect, they are bonded now very beautiful pair really fit each other.

The other boy wasn't neutered he was very relaxed and never sprayed or showed any other signs and he was about 8 months old when I bonded him to a spayed female, she was more than 6 months ago she was one year old then. Well he started spraying/humping extensively I had to neuter him. He only stopped spraying after 4 weeks after neutering and still humping time to time, but not much, it's now about 6 weeks after.

So I second that you just should wait a few more weeks, you can separate them for now if you worry that this is too hard for him, he should relax if you keep him so he can't see or smell her, you will see he will heal faster and he will be relaxed. Just wait another month and start bonding process from zero again, they should forget each other by then.

I wouldn't mess with that scab or blister, he can clean it himself if it bothers him.

Keep an eye on it, although the reason for it seems clear, just to make sure it's not something else.

Waiting sure is a good idea, not all behaviour comes from the dangly bits, their brain and some glands there is in puberty too.

So as instructed by the vet, I have been putting sugar on his very swollen boy bits because its not going inside of the skin where it should be ( I was told sugar would reduce swelling). the swelling has gone down a ton and instead of looking red, its turning back to a pink color.. my only problem is where the blister was. Blister popped and now is like a scab. I'm so scared to wipe and remove it so his bits can go back into the skin because I do not want to hurt him more than he is already hurting. Anyone have experience with blister on a rabbits penis from too much humping?????? how did you go about treating it? cleaning it?? etc... I do have a vet and have been following their instruction on care. Just last week, my car broke down and his vet office is 45 minutes away and I have no way of getting there so that's why I'm trying everything I can to do this myself so please no judgement. :/ He does seem uncomfortable but he is still eating and drinking as normal and even doing his flops.
Honestly I wouldn't use any medicine at all, never heard that sugar would help. If it's so bad you can make a strong tea (without any additions I only use loose teas never use tea bags since not sure what they put into them), and make a compress, it will disinfect. You can use also sage or thyme or chamomile teas they all are excellent disinfectants. But yes he will take care of it himself. Scabs would usually heal pretty quickly if you keep his environment clean. I hope there's nothing like a vent decease just when he stops humping and using it it will heal faster. It is important that he can't see and smell her since it would make him very nervous.

Just wanted to come back with a update. I know it's been a while but I been busy with work. We did end up taking him to the vet. They were concerned about the skin constricting his boy part and it can fall off apparently? We didn't want him to go threw that so we went and they checked him over. Had to sedate him and once they started checking him over, found a hair ring that they believe is the cause of the swelling. Worked on him for over a hour to try and get his skin to retract and couldn't so they sent him home and told me to continue the sugar. 24 hours later, it went back to normal! He's fully healed but I'm very scared to bond then again. I'm waiting till next month and they have no been in contact again except once accidentally. My 2 year old opened soras enclosure and Luffy came in contact with her and did hump. We quickly separated them but I noticed his boy part was out of the skin again and didn't go back u til a couple hours.. no hair ring. Was just out. Is it normal for it to be out of the skin after a rabbit humps??? Ik silly question but it makes me scared to bond them if it's going to be a reoccurring thing.

Latest posts

Back