Too many treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyann

Have courage and be kind.
Reaction score
Clever little Alfie got the lid off his tub of hay and climbed in. Unfortunately we also keep his Oxbow Digestive treats in there too. When I found him he was eating them. I dont know how many he may have had, possibly 10 could be unaccounted, more likely less than that. He normally gets 2 a day, pretty much all his life.
What do you think? They are richer than his pellets and contain molasses. I listened to his tummy with my stethoscope, grumblings heard. I gave him Ovol drops at 12 and 2 pm.
This is his sleep time so I'm not expecting him to be active or poop a lot.

Be sure that he’s eating and pooping. My rabbit has eaten things that he shouldn’t of all too often. I’d give him stomach massages, and do one final dose of baby gas drops. Running around will help stimulate his stomach and so will eating hay.

Be sure that he’s eating and pooping. My rabbit has eaten things that he shouldn’t of all too often. I’d give him stomach massages, and do one final dose of baby gas drops. Running around will help stimulate his stomach and so will eating hay.
hi! how many times in a day do you give him gas drops?

Three 1ml doses an hour apart are usually recommended. If the final dose doesn’t work after half an hour then it’s best to get them to a vet as it could be a bigger problem.
daily? was planning to give my bun gas drops too but I give him massage whenever I feel like his bloated.

daily? was planning to give my bun gas drops too but I give him massage whenever I feel like his bloated.
Your rabbit shouldn’t feel bloated often. Could you make a thread about what problem you’re having. Because I don’t want to spam Kellyann’s thread.

Just an update, he was pretty much behaving normally, slept all afternoon. Around 430pm I heard him munching hay and took his "privacy screen" off. He's in our living room.I gave him some dill, his favourite snack and at 5pm his tbsp of Oxbow pellets. He ate those right away but normally he will eat them over the evening. We had to go out for an hour. When we came back we got him out for his evening run around. He had pooped about 20 poops while we were gone out ( pretty normal number) so I began to relax that all was okay.
He stays out till we go to bed (10-11pm) Then we pick up all the evening poops and add them to a plastic cup with a line on it that indicates 300 poops or a normal day. All good, I went to bed not worrying. This morning he seems to be back to normal.
I use anti gas drops whenever I am the least bit worried. Our Pharmacist told me that they are inert and 100% safe. You almost can't over use them.20200424_083848.jpg20200424_083542.jpg

The image of the poop cup is from this am. We clean them up about three times a day. This was suggested by our wonderful rabbit vet as a way of casually monitoring his output and gi each day.

Glad he's all good now, he's adorable!
If my rabbit would eat something suspicious I'd give them some extra hay and drink, I would mix some dried herbs into their hay so they would eat more as they like herbs, I would give them some filtered herbal tea in their water bottle as well. They love dried mint, chamomile, thyme, I usually sprinkle chamomile and mint on their hay, they also love tummy massage, it never hurts even it there's nothing wrong they love it. I think you did great and he is safe now, well done saving him from his treats :)

Latest posts

Back